The iPhone has been touted as the all-purpose device with abilities ranging from guessing song names to doing home pregnancy exams. As the list of applications increases exponentially we will more and more tools for practical reference. Now we have tools for one of the most important common tasks we have: drinking.
Encyclopedia of Alcohol
5800+ Drink & Cocktail Recipes Free, as the imaginative name would lead you to guess, is equipped to teach how to mix any obscure drink that your local alcoholic could request. When you open the program you are given a few options to find the drink you want. At the bottom task bar you can select Favorites, All Drinks, Drink Category, or Random Drink. Once you select one of these you can either browse alphabetically by scrolling down or search in the box at the top. Once you open the recipe you are given a list of ingredients, each separate and with a little box you can check to “keep track of your progress.” This is important because after a few of these you may get stuck on the “1/2 oz of Cranberry juice” and just keep pouring it. Below this are instructions for how to prepare it, which is also crucial to this fine science.
This is one of the better free applications you can get for your iPhone. It is quick and plain enough for even a professional bartender to use when working, which means the amateur drinker will be likewise impressed. The Random Drink option is fun to help you decide at the bar, and it is a great way to give options when hosting a party. There are so many drinks in here that it ends up feeling like an endless resource.
The program is free, which is makes it an excuse to keep advertisements on your phone. They are very small and relegated to the top of the screen so it does not end up being distracting. This is much better than each drink giving you a link to buy liquor online. What would really elevate this program would be the ability to add drinks that you and your friends have synthesized at your local lab.
Keep it on You
There is really no reason to avoid this program, mainly because free is a price everyone can cheer to. It is fun, even useful, for those who appreciate the fine art of mixing alcohol with absolutely every other liquid they could purchase. Seven and a half out of ten stars.
This post is part of the series: Application Reviews
- Where Are You? – Loopt
- Name That Song – Shazam
- Getting Internet and Tech News with Net News Wire for the iPhone
- Review of the Facebook App for the iPhone
- BrainTuner: A Brain Teaser in Mediocrity
- Review of the Remote iPhone Application
- Have a Drink on Your iPhone Using the iPint App
- The Complete Works of Shakespeare
- Pocket Reference
- An In-Depth Review of Mobile News for the iPhone
- Smack A Toon Lite: A Mild Amusement
- Smiling Rage: Expando Review
- Taking it Old School: Arcade Hoops Review
- Darts App Review: Skip the Bar and Throw Darts on Your iPhone
- Is the Pac-Man iPhone Game Worth the Money?
- Professor of Drinkology
- Finding the Network: The WiFinder Review
- Time in the Night: Night Stand Review
- Tube Time: i.TV Review
- Going International: Daily Planet Review
- Measuring the Swell: Surf Report Review
- iBoredom: Tic Tac Free
- Spiritual Warfare: Tap Defense Review
- Find Your Way Through Mazes with the Labyrinth iPhone Game
- Free Recipes on Your iPhone: Big Oven App Review
- Stanza for iPhone Review: Find Another eBook App
- A Drawing Pad for Your iPhone: Scribble Review