If you are new to Dreamweaver, this guide will help you with creating and managing links. In this guide I will show you how to create a link and then I will show you how to manage your links. You can create a basic link and then you have the option of how that link will open, the size of the link, the color of the link, and more. This guide will get you started with using links. So, let’s get started. Open your Dreamweaver program and create a new HTML document to work on.
Creating a Basic Link in Dreamweaver
Type the word link on your document. Highlight the link with your mouse. In the bottom panel of Dreamweaver, you will see the link field. Type a link in this field. If you are linking to another page within your website, click the folder icon beside the link field. Select the page that you want to link to in the box that pops up. Then click the OK button to assign the link. So, that’s how you create a basic link.
Changing the Link Properties in Dreamweaver
The link properties are the color, size, and font style of the link. Highlight your link again. In the bottom panel, you will see the Font box. Drop that box down and select the font style that you wish to apply to the link. With your link still highlighted, drop the size box down and select the size that you wish to apply to the link. The last property is the color. Highlight your link and drop the color box down and select the color that you wish to apply to the link. That’s how you change the properties of your links in Dreamweaver.
Determining How the Link Will Open
You can choose to have the linked document open in a new window or browser, or you can choose to have the linked document open in the same window. Highlight the link that you created. Look for the Target box in the bottom panel. Drop the box down and select blank. Selecting Blank will tell the link to open in a new window. Drop the box down again and select Self. Self will open the link in the same window that the link was clicked in.
Save this document as test.html. If you do not know how to save an HTML document, please see this tutorial. Now I am going to show you how to open the document in a browser to preview it. Go to the top of your Dreamweaver window and click File > Preview in Browser > and select the browser that you wish to preview it in. When the browser opens, you will see the test link that you created. You can click that link to see how it will open. Remember, it will open, depending on how you set the target.
This post is part of the series: Dreamweaver Tutorials
- Beginner’s Guide to Creating and Saving an HTML Document in Dreamweaver
- Dreamweaver Tutorial: Tips for Link Management
- Creating a New CSS Text Style in Dreamweaver
- Creating a Jump Menu in Dreamweaver
- Create a Photo Album for Your Website in Dreamweaver
- Dreamweaver Tutorial: Mapping and Linking Images
- Use CSS Styles to Create Solid Color Rollover Buttons in Dreamweaver
- Incorporating Flash Buttons Into Your Dreamweaver Designs
- Creating a Rollover Button in Dreamweaver Without Using CSS
- Dreamweaver Tutorial: Creating and Inserting Flash Text into Your Document
- Dreamweaver Tutorial: Inserting and Editing a Horizontal Line
- How to Modify Your Page Properties in Dreamweaver
- Adding Guestbook to Your Site Using Dreamweaver
- Applying Pop Up Messages to Links In Dreamweaver
- A Guide to Understanding the Properties Panel in Dreamweaver
- Create a Tab Menu in Dreamweaver
- Creating a List Menu in Dreamweaver
- How to Create HTML Email with Dreamweaver