Pin Me

A Glossary of Photoshop Terms - "J" and "K"

written by: Joli Ballew•edited by: Daniel P. McGoldrick•updated: 2/24/2009

Photoshop terms that begin with the letters J and K. Find out about jaggies, JPEG, kerning, knockout, and more.

  • slide 1 of 1

    Jaggies – A terms used to describe jagged edges found on raster images. Jaggies appear on diagonal lines and are shaped like squares. Jaggies hinder the print process and are generally undesirable.

    Jog: To align, often used to describe aligning a set of paper or folded sections of paper.

    JPEG: Stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group and is sometimes also written JPG. JPEG files are lossy, meaning that as they are compressed, they lose detail. When the file is changed from a JPEG to another format, those compressed or lost pixels must be reconstructed. This usually results in jagged edges in the design. Alternatives to JPEG include GIF and BMP.

    Justification: The art of using blank space, numbers, and words to fill a specified area of the design or image. These are used to make the right and left margins equal and even. This option is offered in many applications, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and other graphics programs.

    Justify Text: Justifies all lines of text in the paragraph and leaves the last line justified either left, center, or right. (For vertical text, it is top, center, and bottom.)

    K: The symbol for black.

    Kerning: Kerning determines how much of a gap to have between specific letter pairs. Letter pairs like AV and Ky often seem out of sync with the other letters in the text because of how the sides of the letter pairs line up with each other. Kerning can be used to add to or diminish the space to remove this natural occurrence.

    Key Plate: A printing term used in color printing, it’s a plate that is used to align other colors in the print, during the printing process.

    Keyline Rules: A printing term that details how halftones on a page are aligned and are often not printed when the image is.

    Kilobyte: 1,024 bytes. A term used to describe how much hard drive space an image will require when saved.

    Knockout: A printing term used to describe the process of producing a transparent area of artwork used for film, often used by screen printers.

Additional Info
Additional Info