Pin Me

A Glossary of Photoshop Terms - "G"

written by: Joli Ballew•edited by: Daniel P. McGoldrick•updated: 2/24/2009

Photoshop terms that begin with the letter G. Find out about GCR, GIF, gradation, and more.

  • slide 1 of 1

    GCR: Gray Component Replacement is an extension of UCR in that it replaces the neutral colors in the image as well as the colored areas with equal amounts of cyan, magenta, and yellow throughout the tonal range of the image. The gray component is replaced with black ink. GCR is a better option for most high-quality print work, thus the reasoning behind choosing it for our CMYK custom settings.

    Generation: Each stage of a reproduction as it is changed from its original state.

    Ghosting: During the print process, a shadow that appears in the print that is generally undesirable.

    GIF: Stands for Graphics Interchange Format and is generally used for files that are considered line art or have only a few colors. GIF images are good for images containing less than 256 colors, so they’re not good for photographs. The GIF format supports grayscale and RGB color spaces.

    Gigabyte: A term applied to the size of an image, hard drive, or storage unit. A gigabyte is 1,000 megabytes of data (or one million bytes).

    Gloss: The shine or luster of a paper.

    Gradiation: Often used as a screen printing term, the gradual changing of color across a substrate.

    Gradient tool: Fills a closed object with a range of colors that fade into each other.

    Graphic: Any non-text element like a photo, a piece of clip art, or a graph.

    Gray Balance: How cyan, magenta, and yellow are combined to produce gray, often called a neutral gray.

    Grayscale: This color mode uses up to 256 shades of gray (or black). Every pixel in the image is defined by its brightness values between 0 and 255 or its percentage of black ink coverage (0 percent to 100 percent).

    Grid Pattern: The shape of half-tone dots on the screen, such as linear or round.

    Guide Marks: Marks added to the final print out that helps printers align channels and prints during the print process.

    Gutter: The blank space between columns on a page or the inner edges of a book page.