- slide 1 of 7
Video editing is demanding to say the least. If you are not using a specially purchased professional editing workstation, which is unlikely, then you may have a lot of work to do on your home computer to keep it capable of editing digital videos. Here are a few tips on how to keep up your computer so it can run real-time non-linear editing software.
- slide 2 of 7
Try to use your computer only for video editing when possible. This doesn’t mean that you cannot use word processors or browse the internet, but make sure that you are not cluttering up your hard drive with random programs and games. Your computer should be as dedicated to video editing as possible.
- slide 3 of 7
Make sure that your computer is virus and Trojan free. A destructive virus can slow down your computer and even delete all of the sensitive video work you have done. Use proficient virus scanning programs regularly and always run a firewall.
- slide 4 of 7
Try to make upgrading your hardware a regular thing. It is best to update your disk space and RAM annually so you always stay ahead of the game. Video editing programs take a lot to run well so keep this in mind. The processor speed is going to be important so try to upgrade that as often as you can. Do the same thing with your operating system.
- slide 5 of 7
Try to avoid running other programs at the same time as you are editing. This will really slow down the process and can even create media management issues. When you are editing that should be your only focus.
- slide 6 of 7
Make sure that you create specific folders for your video projects, and then do not move them. Disconnecting media is a common problem in video editing and it happens often when on a home computer. This is because files tend to be moved around quite a bit because it has such a diverse range of uses. Create a spot for video work, clearly label every project and media file, and do not change its location.
- slide 7 of 7
Rules to Live By
These little rules will not solve every video editing difficulty, but they can help prevent many of them. The best thing to keep in mind is that this is a sensitive type of application, so your computer must be treated with conscientious care.
- Avoiding Editing Catastrophes Pt. 1 of 2
- Creating the Perfect Editing Space
- Things to Avoid in Your Editing Computer
- The Importance of Digital Video Editing
- How To Use "Continuity Editing" To Tell Your Story
- What Is "Complexity Editing?"
- The Basics of Non-Linear Video Editing
- Components of a Non-Linear Video Editing Program
- Maintaining Your Computer for Digital Video Editing
- Knowing What to "Cut-Out" When Editing
- Editing Techniques: The Rule of Six
- Things to Do Before Installing New Video Editing Software
- Things to Avoid When Digital Video Editing
- The Editing Order in Video Production
- Using Visual Vectors When Editing
- Video Transitions for Editing Digital Video