- slide 1 of 1
The expense report templates available online to download and work with in Microsoft Word are an excellent resource for a small business operator looking to track costs. Templates can be customized with the text that is pertinent to your particular line of business. With the design already there for you, all you will have to do is choose the most applicable template and then customize it with the information, schedule, and what you’re tracking which is pertinent and specific to your business. Furthermore, just looking at the sample expense report templates they have available in template form will help you understand what you will need and want on yours. Using this method saves you the time and trouble involved in creating them from scratch, plus Word is fairly easy to operate in.
Here are the easy steps you should follow:
1) Start by accessing the available Word templates for expense reports offered at Microsoft Office Online at
2) Browse this collection of templates and choose the one that is geared toward your purpose with the layout, design, and color scheme you want that best meets the purpose and criteria.
3) Click on the title of that template (it will then appear on its own for a closer inspection), then click “Download” after which you simply agree to their user license agreement. (You might have to install an Active X plug in for Internet Explorer if you don’t already have it but if you have any problems here, the instructions to update or fix the problem pops up.)
4) Open the free template you downloaded in Word and follow the simple instructions to manipulate the text and insert and remove the headings you see fit.
5) Proof the final document to make sure all the information is correct and print it for distribution.