- slide 1 of 4
You can use it to control your TV, DVD, or even your satellite or cable box. When it comes to controlling your DVD player, you have enough buttons on the remote to perform the task well. Also with the GE Universal Remote, you don’t have to worry about losing the codes you have programmed when you change batteries.
Let’s now get down to looking at how you program GE Universal Remote.
- slide 2 of 4
Instructions to Program GE Universal Remote Manually
1. First of all, you would want to power on the device you wish to control –TV, DVD, VCR etc
2. Locate the Code Search/Setup button on your Universal remote. Press and hold this button. Do so until the indicator light comes on. Then release the button.
3. The next step would be to press and release the remote button for the device (TV, DVD or VCR ) you would like to enter the code for. The indicator light would appear and remain on.
4. You’re now ready to enter the code provided for your device model. Once you’ve entered the code, the indicator light will be turned off.
5. The final step is to test whether the remote works for the device you’ve programmed it for. To do this, press the Power button. If your device is powered off, then your remote works for that particular device.
Depending on your device brand, you may have more than one code listed for your device. If the first code doesn’t work, try the next and the next.
- slide 3 of 4
Using the Code Search Function
If you’ve tried the codes listed for your device brand and are unable to get your device to respond, don’t give up yet. You can always give the code search feature a try.
Here are the steps you should follow:
1. Make sure the device you wish to program is powered on.
2. Locate the Code Search/Setup button and hold it. Wait until the indicator light comes on. Then release the button.
3. Locate the button for the device (TV, DVD or VCR) you wish to program on the remote. The indicator light would come on after blinking once.
4. Now you would want to press and release the Power button on the remote until your device turns off. If your device doesn’t power off, then you would have to wait for a few seconds before trying again. The product developer warns that you have to try up to 250 times before you can get to power off your device.
5. The moment you manage to get your device to power off, press the Enter button or the OK button on your remote. When the indicator light goes off, you’re ready to go.
- slide 4 of 4
The Sleep Feature
If you want to turn your TV off automatically after a certain period of time, you would want to make use of the Sleep Feature. You can opt to turn your TV off after a number of minutes with the help of the GE Universal remote control. Here are the steps to follow:
1. Locate the sleep button. Press and hold it until the indicator light appears.
2. Enter the time from 1 to 99 minutes. You would have to enter 0 before the number. For example, if you choose 20 minutes, you would have to key in 020.
For the sleep function to work, the remote must be kept aimed at the TV.
If you would like to disable the sleep function, press and hold the Sleep button until the indicator light starts blinking. Alternatively, you can press the Power button on your remote control to turn the power off.
At the time of writing, the GE Universal remote is priced at USD 14.99 and is available from this site.
GE Universal Remote image courtesy of jascoproducts.com
http://www.jascoproducts.com/products/pc/GE-Universal-Remote-Control-26p208.htm#details – features of GE Universal Remote