Internet Security 2011
Internet security software consists of protection modules against viruses, malware, hackers, spyware and other PC or Internet threats. These programs also include parental controls, identity theft protection and Web browsing protection. Some Internet security programs include backup and privacy cleaning tools to help in maintaining the computer from disaster and unnecessary files. Bright Hub technology writers often review or compare new programs in securing the computer which includes antivirus, anti-spyware or anti-malware, firewall or Internet security and here’s the list of the best 2011 computer security programs to consider when it’s time to change or upgrade.
Free Internet Security Programs
If your requirement for using security software for Windows is zero cost or freeware, you will find the following software as some of the best Internet security software, 2011 editions to install or use:
- Outpost Security Software – the all-around free antivirus and anti-spyware with firewall, Web and spam protections by Agnitum. Outpost Security software provides free virus database updates, as well.
- Ad-Aware Internet Security– this program does not include firewall protection since Windows has a built-in firewall protection already. Lavasoft’s free Internet security program provides real-time protection against malware, an on-demand scanner and free daily virus database updates. The program also provides a privacy cleaner to remove temporary Internet files, browser cache or tracking cookies.
- Comodo Internet Security – this program provides firewall and antivirus protection for Windows. It also offers sandbox technology or Defense+. Daily virus updates is also a free service.
Note that free Internet security protection provides basic protection only. For end-users that want all-in-one protection with advanced security features, check out the next section of this article.
Paid Internet Security Programs
Some of the best 2011 computer security suites to date are as follows:
- Eset Smart Security – antivirus, anti-spam and firewall protection is what Eset Smart Security offers for Windows computers. The program will also notify you if the computer requires updates for Windows. Price: $60 for 1 PC. Eset runs on Windows 7 / Vista / Home Server / XP / 2000 operating systems.
- Avast Internet Security – virus protection with sandbox technology in Avast v6, firewall, anti-spam and email protection are the key offerings by Alwil. The program also includes Web and identity theft protections. Price: $50 for 1 PC. Avast 6 will run on Windows 7 / Vista / XP computers.
- Kaspersky Internet Security – one of the best security software to consider protecting the computer from virus, intruders, identity theft and spam. Kaspersky Internet Security 2011 also includes a safe run feature that runs suspicious websites and programs in an isolated environment. Parental control software is included in the package. Price: $60 for single computer and it runs on XP / Vista / Windows 7.
- Norton Internet Security – the popular or widely-used Symantec software for home computers is Norton Internet Security 2011. This Internet security program provides virus, spam and intrusion protection for Windows. It also includes identity protection and an optional parental control program. Price: $70 for 3 computers running Windows XP / Vista / Windows 7.
If you prefer using an Internet security software with a backup feature, you should consider Kaspersky PURE or Norton 360. I would have included McAfee Internet Security 2011 in the list as one of the best Internet security software as well, only the program has problems running its McAfee Local Backup for Windows 7.
- Screenshots taken by the author, courtesy of Kaspersky and Agnitum.
- Information based on product reviews/articles on Bright Hub.