Repair Internet Explorer 9
Among the most basic problems with Internet Explorer 9 are inability to display Flash/Java scripts and incompatibility of some websites with IE9. Among other problems with Internet Explorer 9 are unexplained behaviors of the browser while trying to open certain websites. There are also some installation problems with this browser.
Let us check how to repair Internet Explorer 9 so that you can perform Internet Explorer 9 repairs on your own – without having to call in any expert technician.
If you are facing installation problems for Internet Explorer 9, please read our article – Why won't IE9 install.
We will first talk about the IE9 problems where you experience unwanted or strange behaviors while browsing a website, generally caused by unsupported content or incompatible scripts in the website code. In such cases, the website coder must have failed to update the code to suit Internet Explorer 9.
You can troubleshoot Internet Explorer 9 for this problem by adding the website to Compatibility List. Though Microsoft keeps on identifying and adding websites to its Compatibility List, it does not include all incompatible websites.
Add the Website to Compatibility View
1 Press ALT + T + B. This will open up the Compatibility View Settings dialog box.
2 In the dialog box, type the name of website that is creating problems. You need not type https:// or www with the URL. For example, if you are adding Facebook to Compatibility List, just type facebook.com.
3. Click on Add. The website URL will appear in the larger box just below where you typed the URL.
4. Click on Close to close the Compatibility View Settings dialog box.
This should fix the problem where you experience strange behavior while browsing a website. If this does not repair your Internet Explorer 9 problem, continue with the other steps to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 9.
Problems with Internet Explorer 9 – Reset the Browser
If you have problems with Internet Explorer that won't allow you to open a website, view websites properly, show a message about Flash player, or make the browser crash or freeze, you should check to see if any of the IE9 components is creating the problem. A large number of IE9 problems are attributed to incompatible plugins installed by third party software.
Programs such as Adobe Reader, HP Printer Applications, Download Managers etc add their own components to the IE9 whenever you install them. These may create internal conflicts whereby IE9 problems arise. The most common among them are IE9 not responding, failure of Flash Player running and IE9 crashing. These can be easily solved by performing an IE9 reset:
1. Open the Control Panel
2. Click Internet Options to open Internet Options dialog box
3. In the Internet Options dialog box, select the Advanced tab
4. Under Advanced tab, click the last button labeled Reset
5. Click OK to close the Internet Options dialog box and start IE9.
Your problems with Internet Explorer 9 should be fixed now. If not, you may have to perform a complete reinstall of the browser.
Solving Problems With Internet Explorer 9 Through a Reinstall
A reinstall should be your last resort, although it will fix most of the problems with Internet Explorer 9. Before opting for a reinstall, you may check out the steps in next section, if they seem relevant to your problem. For information on how to reinstall Internet Explorer 9 to solve IE9 problems, read our article – How to Uninstall and Reinstall IE9 – On European and Standard Windows 7.
If your problems with Internet Explorer 9 persist after the reinstall, you may have to perform some additional steps to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 9.
Troubleshoot Internet Explorer – Is Your Internet Working?
If you are not able to connect to the Internet at all, you might want to check if the network connection is working fine.
To check the internet connection, use the PING command.
- Press Windows Key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type CMD and press the Enter key.
- In the CMD window, type PING www.google.com and press the Enter key.
If you see any packet loss, the Internet connection settings are damaged and you may need to fix them. If you are not sure how to fix the Internet settings, contact your ISP for details.
How to Repair IE9 – Security Settings
You can also alter your browser security settings to repair IE9.
If you are receiving a message that says An ActiveX Control was blocked while opening a website, you should check out the security settings.
You can access the security settings from Control Panel.
Click on the Internet Options in Control panel. In the resulting window, click to select the Settings tab. Use the slider to lower the security settings and see if your IE9 problems are fixed.
The above method is also applicable when you receive message saying Cookies are Not Enabled.
Other Steps for Internet Explorer 9 Repairs
Among other steps that might help you with Internet Explorer repairs are:
- Turn off the antivirus and firewall to see if your copy of IE9 is working properly. If turning off the antivirus helps, you may need to change the antivirus. This happens mostly in scenarios where you are using a free antivirus that has not been yet updated for Internet Explorer 9.
- Close Internet Explorer 9 and use a third party system cleaner such as CCleaner to clear the IE9 cache. This also helps in some cases where you are not able to load webpages.
If you have tried all the above steps to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 9 and are still facing problems, please get back to us via the comment boxes. Please state your operating system while describing the problem.
How to Speed Up Internet Explorer 9?
- Author's Own Experience
- Images from Internet Explorer 9
This post is part of the series: Troubleshoot Internet Explorer 9
- Strange Behavior in Internet Explorer 9
- Why Won’t Internet Explorer 9 Install?
- How to Move Favorites in Internet Explorer 9?
- Internet Explorer 9’s “Missing” Function