Software Determines Success
A computer is only as good as the software it runs. While this is a bit of a bold statement as there are many aspects that make a computer or operating system good, in the end the vast majority of people want to run fun, good, useful and productive applications. So software matters and we are here to discuss the best recent Mac software available for OS X. Read on for a full overview of the best OS X software, logically divided by category!
Mac’s can definitely be great productivity tools. There is a vast majority of Mac users that use their system as a workhorse. Especially those active in the more creative industries see benefits of using OS X over Windows or Linux. As a result, Mac’s have a wide range of productivity tools and software, as outlined in the following articles.
- Rounding Up Ten Great Utilities for Mac OS X
- Backup Solutions for Your Mac
- Online Accounting and Money Management: OS X Edition
- Tracking, Trading, and Watching: Free Stock Market Apps for Mac
- Mortgage Calculator and Power One for Mac OS X
- Path Finder Raises the Bar on What Apple’s Finder Should Be
- Great Applications to Connect to Your PC (From a Mac)
- SuperDuper! Review: Create Bootable Backups for Your Mac
- Building a Website on Mac: Sandvox Pro Review
- Dropbox Review
In the Office
No computer can ever be useful without proper office tools to work with. Although Windows might still be the preferred operating system for most companies, Mac’s can definitely hold their own. Lets check out the best office software available for Mac.
- Review of Excel for Mac 2011
- Review of Word for Mac 2011
- Review of Outlook for Mac 2011
- Review of PowerPoint for Mac 2011
- A Comprehensive Guide to Using Microsoft Access on Your Mac Pro
- The Best Free Office Software for Mac OS X
- iWork ’09: Pages: The Apple Word Processor
- iWork ’09: Keynote: Puts the ‘Show’ Back in Slideshows
- iWork ’09: Numbers – Easy as 1, 2, 3
- Office Software for the Mac: Star Office
We all need media in our lives; there is no denying it. Your Mac can be an excellent partner in fulfilling this need. Not only are there excellent media playing applications on OS X, it is the preferred platform for creating it from start to finish. Whether you want music or video, the Mac is the machine for you!
- GarageBand vs. Logic
- VideoLan Player for Macs
- The Top 5 of Mac OS X Media Players
- A Guide to Beats Per Minute (BPM) in iTunes
- Senuti Review: Copy Songs from iPod to Mac
- Playing DVD’s on Your Mac
- Handbrake: A Beginners Guide
- Audacity Review: Audio Freeware for the Mac
Internet applications are also well represented on the Mac. At first the lack of Internet Explorer may seem like a disadvantage, it has now almost become a reason to go with a Mac. Almost all major browsing platforms are represented on the Mac so that Internet junkies do not have to suffer. Continue reading for some excellent Internet applications for Mac.
- Google Chrome for Mac Review
- Safari 4: Can We Believe the Hype?
- The How and Why of Installing Firefox on Mac OS X
- Xmarks Review: Sync and Backup Bookmarks on Your Mac
- Thunderbird Review: Email Client From Mozilla
- Notify review: An Awesome Email Notifier for OS X
- Guide to Internet Security for Macs – Top Suites for Mac
Gaming has always been an area where the OS X platform has lagged behind. Gamers will never opt for a Mac as their preferred platform as there is simply not enough choice. Some games occasionally do make it to OS X, but it is never too consistent. In terms of games, the choices are indeed slim, but that does not mean there is no fun to be had. Especially for the occasional, casual gamer, the platform has enough to offer. Lets see what the Mac has in store for you in terms of gaming.
- Casual Games for the Mac: Plants vs. Zombies
- Casual Games for the Mac: Super TextTwist
- Casual Games for the Mac: Bookworm Deluxe
- Casual Games for the Mac: Bejeweled 2 Deluxe
- Casual Games for the Mac: Peggle Deluxe and Peggle Nights
- Chuzzle Deluxe, a Flurry, Fun Match Three Game
- VisualBoy Advance Review: A Gameboy Advance Emulator for Mac OS X
- Pac the Mac and Quinn Review: Classic Freeware Games for Mac
- Enemy Territory: Quake Wars for Macintosh
- Hoyle Casino 2010 Review: Bring the Casino to Your Mac
Software on OS X, There is Something for Everyone!
There is a lot to choose from in terms of software for Mac users, whatever the interest or profession. Although the Mac still lacks significantly in some areas as compared to the PC’s, such as gaming, it excels in others, such as media management and perhaps productivity. In the end it is up to your personal taste what you prefer. With OS X increasing its share in the operating system charts, you can be sure Mac’s software catalogue will only increase!
- Mac App Store, Apple, http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/mac/id39?mt=12