How to Install Tomtom Maps
Whether you are taking your TomTom GPS on a long trip or you are making a move to a new country, you will need to install a new map onto your system. The idea of doing that, and the risk of potentially wiping out all of your existing data, can be a bit intimidating. Never fear, this tutorial is here to help you install your new maps. Just find your operating system below and take it one step at a time.
Pre-install Backup (All Operating Systems)
1. Open TomTom Home
2. Click on, “Backup and Restore”
3. Click on “Backup My Device”
Now that your old data is safe and sound on your computer we can move forward.
Make Sure That You Have Enough Space on Your TomTom
Trying to install a map without the proper amount of space will be a no go. Better to check then find out later.
All operating systems
1. Open TomTom shop and select your target map, noting the file size.
2. Open TomTome Home.
3. Click on, “Show contents of my device”. This should show you both open and used memory.
Saving Your Favorites and Settings
If you are going to want your favorites and settings to transfer over to your new map, then follow these steps:
1. Click on “Start”
2. Click on “My Computer”
3. Click on the icon for your TomTom drive
4. Find your map folder and double click on it. This folder will have a label like “South_America” or “Western_Europe”
5. Find the map_settings .cfg file. Single click this file
6. Choose edit from the menu bar above then “Copy”
7. Paste this file onto your desktop for now
1. Double click the TomTom device icon
2. Double click the map folder
3. Single click on the “Map settings” folder
4. Choose “Edit” then “Copy” from the menu bar
5. Paste the file in your documents folder for now
1. Click “Start” then “Computer”
2. Double click on the icon for your TomTom, this will be a removable device icon
3. Double click on the map folder
4. Single click on the map settings .cfg file
5. Choose “Organize” then “Copy”
6. Paste the file onto your desktop for storage
Upload and Install The Maps
Find your TomTom GPS model below and follow the instructions.
Navigator 7 and Navigator 6
1. Connect your PDA or card reader to your PC.
2. Open TomTom Home and log in.
3. Click on “Options” then “Download your updates”.
4. When a window pops up with available updates check the boxes next to the ones you want and click on “OK”.
5. When a window pops up with “Do you want to install downloaded items now?” click on “Yes”.
Navigator 5/Mobile 5 (TomTom Go)/TomTom One (XL and Second Edition)
1. Open TomTom Home and log in.
2. Click on “Update my device” in the home menu.
3. Find your map and check the box next to it.
4. Click on “Update and install”. This will both download and install the new map.
5. Click on “Done”.
Reinstall Your Favorites and Settings
1. Click on your map_settings .cfg file and click “Edit” then “Copy”
2. Click on, “Start” then, “My computer”
3. Double click on the icon for your TomTom device
4. Double click on the map folder
5. Click on “Edit” then “Paste”
1. Double click on the TomTom device icon
2. Click on the map_settings file then choose “Edit” and “Copy”
3. Open the map folder
4. Click on “Edit” then “Paste”
1. Click on “Start” and then “Computer”
2. Double click on the TomTom device icon
3. Locate and single click on your map settings .cfg file and choose “Organize” then “Copy”
4. Double click on your map folder
5. Click on “Organize” then “Paste”