The Magellan MobileMapper 6 is an advanced 12-channel GPS receiver. It has a touch screen, and it is a general purpose device, although it is specifically marketed towards hikers. Accurate to within 3 meters, you can achieve accuracy within one to two meters in post-processing. It also has a SD memory card slot, allowing you to store additional coordinates or maps.
The device works on two AA batteries and a single set of batteries gives you about a day’s worth of charge. The battery status symbol is located in the top-right corner of the touch screen.
Starting Up the Device
Before you can take this device out on the trail, you need to learn how to obtain GPS coordinates with it. To start using the MobileMapper 6, hold down the Power button until the Start Screen appears.
If you have never used the device before, you will first need to go through the startup sequence:
- Follow the steps for the screen alignment until the screen is completely aligned.
- Enter your local date, time and time zone.
- Add a password to protect your device.
If you do not know how to use a stylus, click on the stylus instruction screen to learn.
Creating a Map
You probably already have maps or coordinates that you want to upload to your device. If so, simply plug the device into your computer with the included USB cable. If you are using Windows, then you will probably use the Active Sync application to transfer data. If so, follow the below steps:
- Go into the Active Sync Window and select Explore
- Go to My Windows Based Mobile Device and select Storage Card.
- Copy your files to a folder already on the device or create a new folder.
- Wait for the transfer to complete and disconnect the MobileMapper 6 from the computer.
You can also create a map on your device. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Find a place that has clear view of the sky and where you get a strong GPS signal. Hold the device at a 45-degree angle based on the horizon. Do not hold the device too close to your chest.
- Push the Start button and go to Mobile Mapping.
- Go to Menu and select New.
- Give your map a name and save it to the Storage Card.
- Select the folder where the map belongs and then click Save.
Navigating to Your Location
If you want to add layers to your map, you can use data that you have saved within your folders for this data.
- Open the folder that holds the information and select the type of file that you want to use.
- Choose the layer from the available list.
- Give the layer a symbol and select OK.
Once you have your map and coordinates saved on your MobileMapper device, you can start navigating to your selected location. Turn on the device and follow the below steps:
- Select the map.
- Go to Menu and Zoom In or Zoom Out, depending on how much of the map you want to see.
- If you wish to pull up the different layers, go to Menu and select Layers. You can choose to hide or make visible different layers depending on the amount of information that you want to see. You can also zoom into a specific item by pressing the Go To option.
- To exit the menu, simply hit Exit from the Menu screen.
You can now take your GPS device anywhere that you need to go and follow the map directions to your selected location. Always pay attention to the battery life and bring extra batteries with you. If your batteries are going dead or if you simple need to know how to install the batteries for the first time, follow the below directions:
- Turn the device off and remove the battery cover.
- Put in fresh batteries and make sure that you properly align them inside the battery compartment.
- Replace the battery cover.
Use rechargeable batteries whenever you can. These do not have as long of a battery life as regular AA batteries, but using them means that you are not constantly throwing away batteries. This is better for the environment and it saves you money in the long run.
The above information gives you general information on how to get GPS coordinates using MobileMapper 6. If you require more detailed instructions regarding how to use your device, refer to your manual. Always retain your user manual, since it provides you with all the information on how to operate your device.
The University of Manchester Geospatial Blog; Magellan MobileMapper 6 GPS; https://uomgeospatial.wordpress.com
Fondriest Environmental; Magellan MobileMapper 6 Manual; https://www.fondriest.com/pdf/magellan_mm6_manual.pdf