- slide 1 of 2
Advancing Your Career with an Online Masters Degree in Nutrition
A degree in Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT), sometimes called a degree in Clinical Dietetics, is the part of the nutrition field that deals with clinically ill patients, nutritional disease prevention and treatment, and strengthening the immune system through nutrition.
How can a Masters in Nutrition Online Advance Your Dietitian Career?
- An masters degree in Medical Nutrition Therapy online can increase your earning potential. Your current employer may give you a raise for your advanced education, and/or an internal promotion. For example, if you work in a hospital, then you may be more qualified to work with critically ill patients on an ICU (Intensive Care Unit) than you would be without the degree. An in-depth understanding of the nutritional care process, nutrient absorption, medical conditions, and physiology of disease would be essential skills to possess in an ICU placement. Some hospitals offer an increased salary for those possessing a masters degree. This degree may also help you to advance to a Clinical Dietetic Supervisor in which you could oversee aspiring Registered Dietitians in a clinical setting, and/or teach at the university level; this is a great option for those who enjoy teaching.
- An online masters in Nutrition will give you those CEUs (Continuing Education Units) you are striving to complete.
- You may also be able to complete your graduate thesis at the facility where you work. The thesis would be much easier to complete in an actual work environment where you can see (and possibly apply) the results of your research.
- This masters degree may also be the stepping stone you need to learn the research skills necessary to move on to a doctorate in nutrition (further reading below), which will further expand your employment opportunities. Doctorate degrees in nutrition are scarce, but also available online.
- You will receive the benefits of personal and professional growth while studying and working through an online degree program.
- slide 2 of 2
Where Can You Go to Get the Masters in Nutrition Online?
Earning a masters degree online in Medical Nutrition Therapy is a possibility as the number of universities offering the degree program online is small, but growing. The American Dietetic Association has a list of universities that offer a distance education in nutrition where you may want to begin your search. Some state universities offering the accredited online masters in nutrition program are listed below.
Massachusetts- University of Massachusetts, Amherst- Accreditation: American Dietetic Association, Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education
North Carolina- East Carolina University Greenville- Accreditation: American Dietetic Association, Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education
Texas- Texas Woman's University Denton- Accreditation: American Dietetic Association, Commission on Accreditation for Dietetics Education
New York- New York Institute of Technology Old Westbury- Accreditation may have been resigned; contact the school.
Just a note, earning these degrees will not give you registration status. The ideal candidate will already be a Registered Dietitian, or one who is preparing to take the National Dietetic Registration exam. Some universities offering a masters degree program in nutrition may require you to do a clinical practicum, in which case you will want to inquire about before applying.
Masters Degree in Nutrition Online: Accredited by the ADA/CADE
A distance education in nutrition or dietary management may be difficult, but not impossible, to find. A look at associate, bachelor, master and doctorate degrees in nutrition online, along with a certification in Dietary Management.