Macs and PCs
To compare Mac and PC is not that difficult. If you haven’t read part 1 of the series yet, be sure to do so. Part 1 features an overview of Mac vs. PC computers.
So, if you had to pick one, which would you choose? A Mac or a PC?
Below is a brief Mac vs. PC review and overview. I will list as many pros as possible about each one.
Why Macs are Better
- Macs work great with other Apple components such as the iPhone, iPod Classic, iPod Nano, iPod Touch, iPod Shuffle, etc…
- Macs are very simple to use.
- Macs are less prown to computer viruses, although they can get viruses.
- Purchasing a Mac gives you Apple Store support.
- Apple uses quality parts to manufacture Macs.
- Macs are trendsetting, designed well, and visually appealing.
- Macs come with better software, out of the box (iLife).
- Macs give you out of the box access to the iTunes Store, if you are an iPod or iPhone user.
- Out of the box, Macs are not loaded with trials and additional software.
- Apple has top of the line phone support.
Why PCs are Better
- You can build a PC from the ground up, picking each individual component. PCs give you maximum customizability.
- PCs are generally cheaper in price. You can get the same processor, amount of RAM, and hard drive capacity for much cheaper with a PC.
- Branded PCs are a wide market. You have many options when it comes to choosing a PC: Dell, HP, Gateway, etc… There are really only 6 types of Mac computer: MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro.
- PCs have better software compatibility. You can find practically any software for PC. Macs are more limited in selection.
- PCs generally have better backwards compatibility. You can run Windows 7 on a 5 year old PC. You cannot run Snow Leopard on a Power Mac G5.
- More people use PCs. Thus, PCs have a larger support community behind them.
- The majority of businesses use PCs.
- PCs are better for gaming.
- PCs have more compatible accessories than Macs.
- PCs are more upgradable.
- PCs are open source.
To compare Mac and PC… Which one is better? It’s all personal preference. I’m sure that’s not what you wanted to hear, but that’s the best answer. In the above review, you can see that both of them have some great advantages. Some people like Macs better, some people like PCs better. Thus, some people absolutely hate Macs, and some people absolutely hate PCs.
It’s all an opinion, a preference.
I will however, give you my opinion. As for myself, I’m a Mac. That’s just what I prefer. I like Macs because I believe that they are simpler to use, and I like the designs that Apple comes up with. I would rather use OS X than Windows. That may change in the future. But as of now, my opinion is that OS X is a better operating system than Windows.
I will say, I would not want to give up Windows though either. I use Windows with VMware Fusion just as much, if not more, than OS X. Windows 7 is a great OS.
Are you a Mac or a PC? Which operating system do you use? Why do you believe it’s best?… Linux???
This post is part of the series: Understanding Macs - Mac vs PC
This four part series details the simple differences between Macs and PCs, the advantages of Mac vs PC, and concludes with which is better, Mac or PC.