3. Filling-up the Competency Requirements and Levels of the Individual Growth and Development Charts:
Each template makes provisions for eleven competency requirements, which you may need to modify to suit your succession planning program. In case you have to add more competencies, modify the cells labeled as "others", the guidelines for which are discussed in a separate section.
- Study the screen-shot image of an individual development chart on your left and take note of our sample data selections.
Level Required (Column B) – Choose from the four levels of competencies contained in the dropdown list. This is the level required in order to qualify as candidate for the job. In studying our example, our succession training program requires that the individual has at least attained the Advanced Beginner level. The rational for this is that the earlier a candidate is identified, the sooner the implementation of his or her training initiatives.
Competency Currently Applied (Column C) – This column refers to the functions being performed by the incumbent holder of the job title. These are the competencies that the potential replacement will aim to attain during his or her training program. In order to view the full details of the job functions, readers may refer to the formula bar at the top of the worksheet.
Level Being Applied (Column D) – This is the level of competency possessed by the incumbent, which the candidate will aim to achieve in order to qualify as successor to the designated job position.
Competency Attained (Column E) – Inasmuch as our sample candidate is only at the Advanced Beginner level, the competency he has attained so far is "preparation". It is important that the corresponding level attained for this function reaches the "Expert" status, before he or she can move on to the “preparation and analysis" job functions.
Level Attained (Column F) – Take note that in our example, the potential successor to the incumbent has already attained the proficient level, as of monitoring date. This denotes that he or she has so far made some progress during her training.
- Do the same for the individual development charts of the other potential replacements being assessed.
- After reviewing all their competency attainments and the levels of their developmental growth, the training assessor can now rank each candidate accordingly.
- Complete the heading of this succession planning template by selecting the names from the dropdown list in accordance with their rankings.