- slide 1 of 3
Reinstall McAfee Security Center
McAfee Security Center is a component of several McAfee software programs such as Total Protection, Internet Security Suite, PC Protection Plus, VirusScan Plus, and Wireless Protection. The program's user interface displays the status of the security protection on your PCs. If you plan to reinstall McAfee Security Center or you frequently received an error message, "Application sources could not be located successfully Reinstall McAfee security center," you need to follow the steps in this article to resolve the issue.
- slide 2 of 3
Using McAfee Virtual Technician Before Reinstalling McAfee Security Center
You may have heard of the free tool, McAfee Virtual Technician. The program is to be used only if you would like to check McAfee's installation. You should use McAfee Virtual Technician if you don't plan to reinstall the McAfee Security Center, especially if you are using other McAfee programs such as McAfee SiteAdvisor and Wireless Protection.
If the McAfee Virtual Technician does not fix the "Application sources could not be located successfully, reinstall McAfee security center" error message, or other errors displayed in Windows that are related with McAfee software, proceed to reinstall the product using the steps in the next section of this article.
Note that if you are seeing a fake McAfee alert, you should clean-up the computer from malware instead of removing McAfee software. Check this Fake McAfee Virus Alert article to learn about fake McAfee warnings.
- slide 3 of 3
How Do I Reinstall McAfee Security Center?
Before you proceed to reinstall McAfee Security Center, you need to ensure that you've tried removing McAfee from your computer or have it disabled. If the process doesn't work, you can try any of the methods below:
- Remove McAfee product using the Add or Remove Programs utility in Windows.
- Reboot the computer.
- Verify that McAfee files are no longer in your computer by downloading and running McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MCPR.exe).
- Reboot the computer, and then download the new McAfee setup file from their website download page.
- Reinstall the McAfee product and proceed to check for product updates to take advantage of improved features or functions of the protection tool.
- Download and run AppRemover software. AppRemover is a standalone program that requires no installation.
- Scan the computer using AppRemover and choose to remove the McAfee software that it detected as running or installed.
- Reboot only when AppRemover prompts for a reboot.
- Download the new McAfee setup file from their website download page.
- Reinstall your McAfee software and start checking for necessary program and definition updates.
NOTE: If you received your McAfee products from your Internet service provider (ISP), visit the ISP website to download the new setup file. If you received a retail box, proceed to download from the McAfee website instead of using an old installer that may have known bugs or design errors.
Screenshots taken by the author courtesy of McAfee (http://www.mcafee.com/us/)