What is Lisinopril?
Lisinopril is an ACE inhibitor used to treat patients with high blood pressure. It is taken orally and does not have a specific need of food or avoidance of food while taking it. The function of lisinopril is to relax the blood vessels, which cause them to widen and decrease the blood pressure.
There are some very serious warnings that accompany this medication and they should be read about before the individual begins taking this medication. If the warnings apply to the individual than they should contact their physician immediately so that steps can be taken to change the prescription. Read on to learn more about the side effects and warnings that come with this medication.
Warnings for Lisinopril
Below are some of the warnings that come with taking this medication. Follow the instructions included with the warnings to avoid any potential health risks.
- The most important thing that someone who takes this medication should be aware of is that it can cause some very serious birth defects. Patients who are trying to get pregnant or are not using birth control should not take this medication. Instead, consult your doctor and let them know that there is a risk of pregnancy so that the doctor can change medications.
- Do not drink alcohol with this medication. This can cause serious health risks as the alcohol also has an effect on the blood pressure.
- Do not take potassium or sodium with this medication. Serious health problems may result. If you are currently taking a form of potassium or sodium, let your doctor know this so that they can prescribe a medication better suited to your needs.
Read the section below to learn about the possible side effects of lisinopril. Consult your doctor to inform him or her if you are having any of these side effects so that they can assess whether a different medication or a change in dosage would be right for you.
As you read through these side effects, please keep in mind that some people have an allergy to this medication. If you think you are having an allergic reaction because you are showing signs such as hives, sever stomach pain, problems breathing or swelling around the neck or facial area then seek emergency medical treatment as soon as possible.
- change in urination such as an increase or decrease
- flu like symptoms such as chills, nausea and body aches
- heart palpitations
- chest pain
- sudden weight gain