Cover Letter for Accounts Payable Positions – An Overview and Example
It shows that you have a genuine interest in the job, paves the way for you to highlight your accomplishments and experiences, and allows showcasing your writing skills. In essence, use the cover letter to make your job application standout.
How to Write a Powerful Accounts Payable Cover Letter
- Read the job description and get the pulse of the employer’s needs. It helps you to tailor your cover letter to the position. Never begin to write a cover letter without first gaining a good insight into the job demands.
- Use the standard format of business letters to pen your cover letter.
- Refer to the job ad / number before the salutation, or state the position you are applying for.
- Address the letter to the person given in the job ad. If it doesn’t have the name, call the company and find out. Generic addressing like “To Whom It May Concern” or “Dear Sir or Madam” can make the recruiter ignore your application.
- Write the letter in a clear, concise and professional way. Express your letter in a confident tone.
- Use simple words to build your content.
- Sprinkle keywords throughout your letter. Obtain such words from the job ad.
- Highlight a few key qualifications that make you the best candidate for the job, in the first paragraph. Remember, recruiters typically receive hundreds of applications for a single position. They do not have the time to read every letter in detail. So the sooner you communicate your talent in your message, the higher the potential for your success.
- Expand on your accomplishments, experience and education in the body of your letter. Use bullet points to organize your sentences / paragraphs. If you use the latter, ensure they are short with a few sentences. Include key information on your accounts payable skill and experience, attention to detail, software expertise, communication skills, and any other skills you feel would make the recruiter choose you to interview.
- Turn the spotlight again on why you are the strong candidate for the position in the last paragraph. Thank the hiring manager for taking time to read your letter. Request an opportunity for an interview. Give your telephone number and email address and make it easier for the employer to contact you by including a telephone number.
- Spellcheck and proofread your cover letter before you hit the send button if you are sending via email, or before you fax or mail the letter.
Sample Accounts Payable Cover Letter
October 23, 20XX
Mr. John W. Hirer
111 New Street
New York, New York 12345
RE: Accounts Payable Clerk Position
Dear Mr. Hirer:
With more than five years of solid accounting experience, I believe my qualifications are an exact fit for the accounts payable clerk position. I have expertise in the entire range of accounts payable functions and excellent hands-on skills in ACCPAC, Peachtree, and other accounting software programs that gives me a strong foundation to contribute to the success of XYZ, Inc.
Here is an overview of my key strengths that I am keen to bring to your company:
- Proven track record of exemplary performance of financial and administrative duties
- Strong experience in a broad array of accounting functions, ranging from preparing financial reports to maintaining general ledgers to remitting deductions and taxes to the relevant government agencies
- Consistently complied with the “zero-error” accounting policy of John Doe, Inc. during the last five years through attention to details and quality checks
- Outstanding ability to meet targets and to translate the notion “go the extra mile” into practice, always
- Recognized as self-learner – Gained proficiency in diverse software through self-learning, relying on manuals and on tutorials and forums on the web, saving the company thousands of dollars in training costs
Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills are among my other traits that would help me meet and exceed your position needs. These traits and my work ethics are the perfect ingredients to serve your company and further mold myself as “the person to rely on.”
Thank you for your time. I will call you in the next few days to explore the possibility of an interview. It will be a great opportunity for me to explain how I can be an asset to your company. You are welcome to call me at 111-222-3333 or email me at [email protected] to discuss this position. I look forward to meeting you.
Jane M. Clerk
Your chances are higher to obtain the desired interview if you utilize this sample accounts payable cover letter if you are applying for an A/P position.
Image Credit: Image by the author.