H&R Block Tax Cut Overview
H&R Block is one of the most trusted tax preparation firms in the industry today. Their services run the gamut from financial planning to tax preparation for personal and business returns. Withe their range of options including face-to-face meetings with tax professionals, Tax Cut Online services, and Tax Cut Desktop applications, they cut an impressive figure in the financial market.
You’re inundated with ads from tax professionals, firms, and services every year during tax season. H&R Block provides adequate value for your money, but falls short of the benefits and provided by other competitors in the online and desktop tax preparation business.
Tax Cut Online (3 out of 5)
Tax Cut Online offers five levels of service to suit your needs ranging from the free edition to the Online Office version which starts at $99.95. All of the versions with the exception of the free version offer free audit support and every service level requires additional fees for filing your state return.
- Audit support included (at an additional fee with free version)
- Import support available (except free version)
- Interview makes preparation easy
- Start for free
- No upfront payment required
- Save and return later
- Accurate calculations guarantee
- Free e-file
- Maximum Refund Guarantee (Premium or higher versions only)
- Affordable pricing
- Ask a Tax Advisor (Premium or higher versions only)
- Log on from any computer with an active internet connection
- Supports Mac and PC
- Not a good choice for dial-up users
- Requires active internet connection
- Free version lacks benefits included in competitor’s software
- Additional fees for state returns
- Basic version lacks benefits included in competitor’s software
- Import support limited with free version even if you’re a return customer
- Additional fees for many service options
- As of January 28, 2009, forms are unavailable for tuition expenses and credits (students cannot complete return without these forms)
- Email to customer service regarding unavailable forms after date they were to be available resulted only in the date being changed to a vague "available in late January" message on missing form page and a request to call the fee based customer service hotline
Tax Cut CD/Download (4 out of 5)
Tax Cut offers its tax preparation software as a fee-based download or CD based application for your desktop and provides four service levels from which you can choose. Prices for the CD/Download are slightly higher than those for the online version, but the Premium version as well as the Home+Business version include one state return free with your purchase. The desktop version of Tax Cut seems to provide more value for the price than the online version provides.