Nokia N8 Tips: Guide To Using The Nokia N8
Why Is the N8 So Special?
The Nokia N8 is a definite step up for Nokia, that is well equipped to compete with the big boys in the smartphone market. The body has a novel shape, giving it a retro, look and feel. Its simple looks don’t convey just how much this phone has under the hood though. The 12 MP camera is tough to beat and is a definite plus in the N8’s favor, and we take a look at how to get the most out of it to create some professional looking shots.
OK so it might be the best Nokia phone ever produced, and is highly regarded especially for its camera, but there are always things you can do to make the phone go further. We will cover some of the basics and features of the N8, including some Nokia N8 tips and tricks along the way to get the most out of your device.
Social networking has never been easier or more fun! Using your Nokia N8 to update your status on Facebook or to tweet on Twitter couldn’t be easier. You can use Facebook and Twitter via a direct application on your homescreen. This is one of the strengths of the new Symbian OS, so you want to use it to its full potential. You even have social networking profiles made visible in your phone contacts, which is a pretty neat feature.
The Symbian smartphone comes with a complete functional phone book which can be synced easily with your exchange account. The
capacity of the phonebook is unlimited and provides easy management of your contacts. Don’t forget to mark some of your contacts as favorites to ensure they are displayed at the top of the list.
Here is one of the most simple Nokia N8 tips to set up a group. Useful for business contacts, or for letting a group of your friends know about a night out with ease. To create groups go to the ‘Contacts’. Then select the tab marked as ‘Groups’. Now select ‘Options’ and then ‘New Group’. Enter a name for the group and select OK. If you want to add members, then simply open the group and select ‘Options’. Now ‘Add Members’ and select the contacts you want to add. Now press OK.
Personal ringtones and/or videos for the contacts can be added to the group as well. Simply open the group. Then select ‘Ringing Tone’. Select the ringtone and you are done.
The Nokia N8 comes with free Ovi maps (walk or drive navigation), guiding people to their destinations in more than 70 countries worldwide. One great tip in using this feature on your N8 is to turn off assisted GPS so you save on your data connection. Basically if you already have the maps of the area you are visiting pre-loaded before you travel, the phone will just use this information rather than connecting to get your position.
The messaging feature of the N8 is designed to receive SMS and MMS as well as email support (Microsoft Exchange Servers and POP/IMAP servers). Threaded messaging is the displaying of messages in a chat-like form, thereby making it easier for the user to keep track of the conversation.
The QWERTY keyboard experience may not be good, but it can be improved. In general terms you are better off typing on your N8 holding it in landscape mode to give you a bigger keyboard to use. With notes, though, start by launching the notes and create a new one by tapping. Now, the 3 line, between the return and forward key should be tapped. After this you should tap the input options and activate the prediction. Once again tap the 3 line key. After this tap the input options and go to settings. Turn on the word auto-completion, set the level of text correction to high, and the mode of text correction to show suggestion. That’s it you have just improved the QWERTY keyboard performance.
The N8 is the first Nokia device with Symbian^3 technology. Symbian^3 boasts more than 250 new features to enjoy.
- Multiple personalized home screens: You can personalize your home screen to reflect your personality. You can add as many widgets as you want while following as many email accounts, weather forecasts and friends feeds as you like.
- Multipoint touch: Navigating your Nokia N8 smartphone has never been easier - swipe to scroll, pinch to zoom and tap to open.
- Turbo charged graphics: Symbian^3 boasts new graphics architecture that is turbo charged. Even with all the new visual superfluities the device stays fast and responsive.
- Real multitasking: Symbian^3 boasts new improved memory management which allows more applications to run at once while a new visual task manager allows you to switch between apps with a swipe and a tap. You can even listen to the radio while browsing the Internet and uploading photos – all of this and the Nokia N8 boasts long battery life as well.
- Intelligent networking: With intelligent networking, performance is tailored to the user’s needs. Optimizing for high speed when you upload videos, or smooth streaming when you make a video call.
Get Great Shots with That 12 Megapixel Camera
The camera is one of the main reasons behind the Nokia N8’s popularity; even the iPhone can’t compete with the N8 on this score. The 12 MP camera produces great shots, is available with a mechanical shutter, a powerful flash and a 28mm wide-angle lens. It also comes with a built-in BD filter, as well as face detection You can additionally record HD quality videos and edit them with the unique, built-in editing suite. Potential photographers can capture anything in crisp detail using the Nokia N8’s 12 megapixel camera.
There are ways of getting professional quality portrait pictures using your N8 too. The best tip when taking portraits is to make sure you make full use of the fill-in flash and face recognition. This will help to bring out details and add life to your subject, making them the focus rather than the background. Make full use of any reflections such as windows, mirrors, water, any shiny surface that might help to illuminate your subject a little better.
- Nokia N8 Tech Specs - https://europe.nokia.com/find-products/devices/nokia-n8/specifications
- How to take a profesional portrait picture from Nokia N8, Ari Partinen, https://blogs.nokia.com/nseries/2010/10/07/how-to-take-a-professional-portrait-picture-with-a-nokia-n8/
- Landscape mode - suitedigital/photobucket
- 2 views of Nokia - techreviewer/photobucket
- All other images supplied by Nokia.