About Copying Contacts
Learning how to copy contacts from the iPhone to Mac is actually much easier than you may think. The iPhone, iTunes and the Mac are all designed by Apple, Inc which means they are all capable of integrating with each other quite flawlessly.
The easiest way to get copy contacts from the iPhone to your Mac is to simply use the iTunes built-in features to save and backup your contacts to the address book on the Mac. The contacts will automatically be synced with the address book every time you connect your iPhone to iTunes and therefore you will maintain up to date contacts on both your Mac and your iPhone.
Learning how to copy contacts from the iPhone to Mac is actually as simple as learning how to enable the feature in iTunes. Once this feature is enabled you will be able to transfer all of the contacts from your iPhone to the Mac. The opposite is also true, you are able to restore contacts from the Mac to the iPhone.
Read on to learn how to set up and use this feature.
How To Copy Contacts
Copying contacts from the iPhone to the Mac and vice-versa is done via the same method. Once the feature is enabled it will work both ways. When initially setting up the contact sharing between the iPhone and the Mac it is very important to select the correct options or you could risk losing the contacts already on your iPhone. Follow the steps below to enable contact sharing between your iPhone and your Mac.
- Connect your iPhone. Connect your iPhone to your Mac. Use the USB cable that came with the iPhone and connect the other end to the USB port on your Mac.
- Launch iTunes. Launch iTunes by clicking the iTunes icon. iTunes may launch automatically once your iPhone is connected to your Mac.
- Choose your iPhone. Locate your iPhone in the device list on the left side of iTunes. Choose your iPhone in the device list by clicking on it.
- Allow contact sync. Choose the tab that says "Info" at the top of iTunes. Look at the middle of the page where iTunes says Contacts. Check the box that says, "Sync contacts with:" and choose "Address Book" in the drop down box to the right.
- Merge contacts. When presented with the option to delete existing contacts or merge new contacts, choose merge new contacts with existing contacts. If you do not choose this option, all existing contacts will be deleted.
- Sync your contacts. Sync your contacts by syncing your iPhone. Click the Sync button in the right corner of iTunes to begin syncing.
Future contacts will automatically be synced when the iPhone is synced with iTunes. For a wireless method of syncing your iPhone contacts with the Mac consider using the MobileMe Service. Read this Guide to the MobileMe Service for the iPhone. Also take a look at this Guide to Sharing Your iPhone Contacts.