As with many other cellular phones, it is possible to get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes. iTunes is simply Apple’s method of making it easier to transfer data to and from the iPhone. If you have a jailbroken iPhone, you have probably begun to realize that everything done in iTunes, can be accomplished without iTunes. To get ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes you will be using a piece of software on the iPhone which can directly download and install ringtones, without iTunes nor a computer. The software is called Cydia and comes installed on any Jailbroken iPhone. If you are currently on a “locked” device, you will need to Jailbreak your iPhone before you can get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes.
What you will need:
- Jailbroken iPhone (any model)
- Cydia or Rock
- Internet connection
All without iTunes
- Power on the iPhone. Power your iPhone on to the main screen. Unlock the iPhone by pressing the slide to unlock bar.
- Locate Cydia or Rock. Depending on which Jailbreak method was used on your iPhone, you may have “Cydia” or “Rock”. You will need either one of the two to get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes. Cydia is my personal favorite and can be identified by a brown icon with a package in the middle. If you do not see Cydia nor Rock on the first page, try sliding through the different pages of applications on your iPhone.
- Open Cydia or Rock. Tap on the icon to launch Cydia or Rock on your iPhone. Once the application launches there will be several tabs at the bottom. Search for the “Sections” tab, usually the second from the left in Cydia.
- Open ringtones. From the sections tab, select “Ringtones”. This is where you will be able to get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes. Inside the Cydia or Rock ringtones folder there are typically over two-thousand ringtones available. Everything from the latest hit music to classic Nintendo sound effects, all at the touch of a finger!
- Download the ringtone you want. Tap on the selected ringtone in the list. When the new screen appears with information, look in the upper right corner for the button “Install”. Click “Install” and press “Confirm” on the next screen. This is how to get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes.
- Set the new ringtone. Press the home button on your iPhone to return to the main screen. Tap “Settings” and view your current ringtone list. You will notice the new ringtones on your iPhone without iTunes. Repeat this process for as many ringtones as you desire to put on your iPhone.
Tips & Troubleshooting:
- Don’t see Cydia or Rock? Your iPhone may need to be jailbroken again, you can’t get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes unless you have a jailbroken iPhone.
- It is possible to install ringtones from the computer to the iPhone without iTunes, however the process is much more complicated than simply using Cydia or Rock.
- To get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes using Cydia or Rock you will need to be connected to Wi-Fi internet or 3G/Edge from your wireless carrier.
- After attempting to get new ringtones for your iPhone without iTunes you may need to restart your iPhone for them to appear in the ringtones list.
See it to Believe it