Setting Up the HTC Wildfire
The HTC Wildfire is an Android smartphone that has a lot of features. The first thing to do with the phone is to set it up. Install the SIM card and the microSD memory card. Follow these steps from the HTC Wildfire manual:
- Remove the back cover.
- Take out the battery.
- Hold the SIM card so that the gold contacts are facing down and the cutout corner is facing out. Insert the SIM card into the SIM card slot, which is on the right side of the battery compartment.
- Now insert the microSD card into the memory card slot, which is located on the left side (oriented with the back of phone facing you) of the phone. Make sure the gold contacts are facing down and that you push the card until it locks in place.
- Place the battery back and place the cover over it.
Now charge the battery with the power adapter, which connects to the USB port of the phone. After charging, turn on the phone by holding the Power button. One of the first things you will see is a prompt to enter a PIN for the SIM card. This is usually provided by the service provider. The next thing you see is the setup screen. Follow the on-screen prompts for each setting. It includes setting the language, how the phone connects to the Internet, and the type of e-mail accounts you want on the phone.
Home Screen and Notifications
After setting up the phone, the home screen is displayed. It features a status bar at the top and several widgets and icons, as well as a brilliant background. The default clock and weather widget displays the current time and weather conditions. The HTC Wildfire can accommodate a screen full of widgets and icons. If more room is needed, there are additional home screens. To access these home screens, press the home screen and swipe either to the left or the right. In the Leap View mode, you can see all seven home screens as thumbnail images. Pinch the screen to bring up Leap View. To return to the main home screen, press the Home button.
The status bar shows a variety of indicators including the battery strength, the network (3G, EDGE), and Bluetooth connections to HTC Wildfire accessories. There are notification icons as well including the new tweet icon, new text message, and new voicemail. There are notification LED lights that turn on when certain phone features are in use. The HTC Wildfire manual states that:
- A solid green light indicates that the battery is fully charged and the phone is connected to a computer or power adapter.
- A flashing green light indicates a new notification.
- A solid red light indicates that the battery is currently charging.
- A flashing red light indicates that the battery is low.
When multiple notifications are available, you can view them all in the notification panel. To access the notification panel, press the status bar and slide your finger downward.
Making Calls and Answering Calls
To make a phone call with the HTC Wildfire, press the Phone key. Dial the number on the on-screen keypad and press Call. If there are numbers stored in the contacts, they will pop up as you dial the number. Tap the number to place the call.
When a call comes in, you can choose to answer it or ignore it. The call screen will display the caller ID of the person that is calling. To accept the call, press Answer. To ignore, press Decline.
When the phone is locked, there are different ways to handle an incoming call. To answer a call when the phone is locked, press the caller ID bar and drag it down the screen. To reject a call when the phone is locked, press the caller ID bar and drag it upward. You can also press Menu and choose Decline.
There are several options during a call. Follow these steps in the HTC Wildfire manual:
- To mute the call or place it on speakerphone, press the respective on-screen buttons.
- To place the call on hold, press Menu and select Hold. To resume the call, press Menu and select Unhold.
- To answer a second call, press Answer. The first call is put on hold.
- To switch between two calls, press the on-screen caller ID for the person you want to speak to.
- Tap End to end the current call.
The volume of the ringer and earpiece can be adjusted by following these steps in the HTC Wildfire manual:
- Press the volume button on the side of the phone to increase or decrease the volume. To quickly place the phone in silent mode, press and hold the Power button and select Silent Mode.
Ringtones, Scenes, Widgets, and Icons
The exterior of the phone can be accessorized with HTC Wildfire cases, and the phone software can be accessorized with wallpaper, ringtones, and widgets. Scenes are a unique personalization tool that has preset wallpapers and widgets. You can add widgets individually to the home screen and select your own wallpaper.
- To use a scene, press Menu on the home screen and select Scenes. Choose a preset scene and press Done.
- To apply a specific wallpaper, press Menu on the home screen and select Wallpaper. Select which screen you would like to apply the wallpaper to. The options are Home or Lock Screen. You can choose from Android wallpapers, HTC wallpapers, or Gallery. The Gallery option is for photos. Select the wallpaper you want and press Set Wallpaper.
- To add a widget to the home screen, press and hold an area of the home screen that is empty. This opens the Add To Home Menu. Select Widget and browse through the available widgets. Use the left and right arrows to view the different styles of calendar, music, photo albums, and Twitter widgets. Press Select to set the widget.
- To add a shortcut or icon for an app on the home screen, press and hold an area of the home screen that is empty. Then tap App or Shortcut in the Add To Home menu. Then select the application or setting for which the icon or shortcut is for.
Another way to personalize the HTC Wildfire is with ringtones. To change the ringtone, press Menu and tap Settings. Then select Personalize and choose Default Ringtone. Browse through the available ringtones. Select the one you want and press OK. To use a song as a ringtone, press the Personalize button on the home screen and select Music. Go to the library and select the song you want. Play the song. As the song plays, press Menu and select Set As Ringtone.
For more help with your new HTC Wildfire check out some Android tips and tricks.
- HTC Wildfire User Guide – http://www.nex-techwireless.com/applicationdata/1/Documents/HTCWildfire_Manual.pdf
- Image Credit – Images courtesy of /www.nex-techwireless.com.