How to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC Desire: Complete Guide
Android 2.3 Gingerbread was launched at the end of 2010. Officially, it is available only on the Google Nexus S. Manufacturers are supposed to roll out Android 2.3 updates in the coming months for supported devices. Google also released the Android 2.3 Gingerbread source code and since then, many Android modders and developers have been compiling ROMs and porting them to various devices like the HTC Evo 4G, Motorola Droid X etc.
Now, an Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM is also available for the HTC Desire. The HTC Desire, though an excellent device, has been a bit neglected since the launch of the Samsung Galaxy S and the Motorola Droid X. Now it’s payback time, for the HTC Desire has an Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM before the Galaxy S.
It is a relatively simple procedure to install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on your HTC Desire or to upgrade your HTC Desire to Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
How to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC Desire
Here’s how you can upgrade your HTC Desire to Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
1. To install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on your HTC Desire, you need to be able to boot into the recovery mode. To do this, you need to have root access on your HTC Desire.
2. The easiest way to do this is using ROM Manager. You can use it to install, backup and restore ROMs on your device.
3. Browse Android Market on your HTC Desire and search for the ROM Manager application. Download ClockworkMod ROM Manager and install it.
4. Next, just download the HTC Desire Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM
Download Oxygen 2.0 Gingerbread ROM for your HTC Desire.
5. Click on ROM Manager and select the Flash Clockworkmod Recovery option. It will install the recovery image and backup the current ROM on your HTC Desire.
6. Copy the Oxygen Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM that you downloaded for your HTC Desire and copy it to your SD card by connecting your device to your PC.
7. Now open the ROM Manager app again, and select the Install ROM from SD Card option. Select the Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM you copied and click on it to install it. Before installing it, be sure to select the Wipe Data and Cache options.
8. ROM Manager will install the Android 2.3 Gingerbread on your HTC Desire in a few minutes.
9. If you have any problems with ROM Manager on your Desire, simply boot your rooted HTC Desire into recovery mode then install the ROM via recovery directly.
Android 2.3 HTC Desire ROM Source: XDA
You can post a comment here, or visit the original source at XDA if you have any problems with the ROM.
- Android Advices: HTC Desire – Steps to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread OS, http://androidadvices.com/htc-desire-steps-to-install-android-2-3-gingerbread-os
- ClockworkMod: ROM Manager, http://www.clockworkmod.com
- HTC Desire HD Smartphone by Pucky2012 under CC BY 2.0
- Android Market: ROM Manager, https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.rommanager&hl=en