It is commonly known that soy candles are an eco friendly alternative to paraffin wax candles and soy wax is generally less expensive to purchase than any other kind of wax used to make candles. If you are in an artsy mood, and want to learn how to make soy candles, you are in luck because making soy candles is simple and inexpensive. Of course, simply purchasing a small to medium sized soy candle will be less expensive than making your own soy candle because you do not have the necessity of purchasing all of the tools and ingredients.
This is a tutorial on how to make scented soy candles. Scented soy candles give off a luxurious and relaxing ambiance because of the essential oils that are infused in the soy candles.
What You Will Need
Candle making thermometer
Essential Oils of choice
Self releasing soy wax
Small to medium sized pot
Candle Mold of Choice (If you do not wish to sit your candle in a candle holder, you can get creative with the candle mold)
Stirrer (A long kitchen spoon will work just fine)
1. Cut a portion of your cotton candle wick to a length will fit the mold that you have chosen.
2. Tightly wrap the cotton wick around the center of a Popsicle stick.
3. Lay the Popsicle stick directly on top of the candle mold, making sure that the wick is inserted into the mold and hangs directly in the center of the mold.
4. Heat the soy wax in a pot on low heat. It is important that the heat is low so the soy wax is at a manageable temperature. Constantly stir until it has reached the consistency that you wish.
5. Stick the thermometer into the melting soy wax, once it reaches between 170F – 175F, you may add the essential oils. Add about 3 drops, adjust according to the amount of wax that you are melting. If you are melting a small amount of wax add 2 drops, if a large amount, add a little more than 3 drops. You be the judge.
6. Remove from heat, and let the wax cool down for approximately 5-7 minutes. Or you can use your thermometer to monitor the wax, and once it reaches 145F you may pour your wax into the mold.
7. Pour your wax into the mold and wait an entire day before touching, moving, or removing from the candle mold.
8. Untie the Popsicle stick from the top portion of the wick.
9. Remove the candle from the mold.
10. Cut the wick to around ¼ inch.
11. Your scented soy wax candle is complete and ready to burn.