Instructions to Make your own Lawn Roller
How big and heavy a lawn roller do you need? If your lawn is small and you plan on dragging the roller on your own, then you’ll need to restrict the length and the weight of the roller to suit your needs. However, it needs to weigh at least 50 lbs or more. Those who wish to attach the lawn roller to a motorized lawn mower or a garden tractor can build a longer and a heavier one.
Materials Required to Make a Lawn Roller
- Mold or Casing: For a small and light-weight roller use PVC or metal pipe that is at least 12 inches in diameter and about 2 feet long. Alternatively, some small barrel which is about 2 feet tall can be used. For a larger lawn roller an oil drum can be used. Hard cardboard or a flexible thick plastic sheet forming a cylindrical shape can be used as casing. Remember to secure the cardboard well at the joint, so that it can take up the pressure of the concrete.
- Concrete Mixture: Make your concrete mixture using cement, sand and gravel in the ratio of 1:2:2.
- PVC Pipe: You’ll need one piece of PVC pipe that is at least one inch in diameter and is about six inches longer then the length of the mold or casing you’re using. However, if the iron rod that will be later passed through this pipe is thicker, then chose a wider pipe that can comfortable accommodate the thickness of the rod.
- Iron Rod: You need an iron rod that is at least 12 inches longer than the desired length of the lawn roller.
Steps to Follow
- If you’re using a barrel as a casing, you’ll need to cut out the top to make it easier to work. On the bottom, drill a hole in the center that is wide enough for the PVC pipe to pass through. And in case you’re using a wide PVC pipe or a cardboard mold that doesn’t have a base then you can use a thick thermocol sheet as the base and cut a hole in its center to hold the PVC pipe to be placed in the center of the roller. For those using a cardboard mold, lining the inside walls of the mold with a plastic sheet will help prevent it from collapsing when wet concrete is poured into it.
- Place the 1 inch thick PVC pipe in the center as shown in the image. Now, pour in the concrete mixture and press it well to prevent air gaps. As you pour in the concrete the PVC pipe at the center is likely to move, keep readjusting it so that it is held straight and it remains in the center of the concrete.
- Now, you’ll need to take a break for a few days till the concrete sets and becomes hard. Depending on how big a lawn roller you’re making, it can take anything between 3 to 7 days for the concrete to harden. In the mean time you can keep curing it with water every day.
- Once the concrete has hardened, you can cut the protruding ends of the PVC pipe placed at the center of the roller. And, if you’ve used a cardboard mold to shape the lawn roller, then this too can be removed now.
- Finally, pass the iron rod through the PVC pipe at the center and your lawn roller is ready. Now you can attach it with your lawn mower, garden tractor or just attach an iron handle to it (like in the image) if you plan to use it manually.
Now that you’ve learned how easy it is to make a homemade lawn roller, you’re just a few days away from having a perfectly smooth lawn.
Reference & Credit:
The article is based on the author’s personal knowledge and experience
Image Credit: Sidharth Thakur