What Is Six Sigma?
For some time now, many top companies have been utilizing Six Sigma, a quality improvement process. Six Sigma may have first been utilized in the manufacturing and software world but it has moved on to the project management world as well.
The purpose of Six Sigma is to get to your end result with little or no defects in your processes or end product. This methodology uses DMAIC or define, measure analyze, improve and control process to ensure defects are kept to a minimum.
Six Sigma roles include Green and Black Belt Masters and Champion, and while you may not be able to find a Six Sigma Masters of Science programs, many education institutions offer master certificate programs or Masters of Science programs with an emphasis on Six Sigma.
Image Credit: Six Sigma by Share Alike / Wikimedia Commons
Six Sigma Masters & Certificate Programs
Here’s a list of colleges and universities and while they don’t offer Six Sigma Masters of Science programs, they do offer either certificate programs or degrees with an emphasis on Six Sigma:
- Kennesaw State University – This university located in Georgia offers a Masters of Science in Applied Statistics with an emphasis on Six Sigma. Upon completion of the first year, a student will be trained to adequately take and pass the Six Sigma Green Belt exam and upon the completion of the course, students are prepared to pass the Black Belt exam. This university doesn’t offer online training for a Masters of Science in Applied Statistic, however, the emphasis the Lean and Six Sigma methodology almost guarantees you will pass needed belt tests.
- Purdue – In Purdue’s Krannert School of Management located in Indiana, both online and onsite management certificate courses are offered in Lean and Six Sigma. CEUs (continuing education credits) from Purdue are available and classes are priced individually or for groups. Upon completion, students are prepared to pass the Six Sigma Green Belt certification test.
- National University – Both online an onsite classes are available through National University. This university integrates both Lean and Six Sigma. It’s best to visit their websites for prerequisites in engineering courses prior to enrolling. Both Green Belt and Black Belt courses and exams are offered along with certifications.
- Brigham Young University – Lean Six Sigma Black Belt and Master Black Belt certifications are available at this university as part of their professional certificate programs. Classes are held onsite in Provo Utah.
- University of Akron – Here you can enroll in onsite classes in Six Sigma, Lean Six Sigma, Design for Six Sigma and obtain a Black, Green or Champion certificate. This university does require you take a Minitab Software course prior to enrolling in their Six Sigma certificate programs.
A Degree in Six Sigma
The world of Six Sigma, Lean Six Sigma, Black, Green, and Champion certifications are on the rise. Most colleges or universities that offers Masters in Applied Statistics or Masters of Engineering do place an emphasis on Six Sigma training and courses. One enhancement of obtaining Six Sigma certification is how it can strengthen your career path. Most job recruiters estimate that jobs that require Six Sigma certification are offering salaries in the $90,000 to $100,000 range.
As quality process improvement becomes important in not just the engineering and statistical world, expect more higher education facilities to offer both undergraduate programs with an emphasis on Six Sigma and Six Sigma Masters of Science programs.