The Benefits of Earning a Degree from a Distance
Earning a degree like an online bachelor degree in PC maintenance technology from a distance is very convenient for busy individuals who don’t have the time to attend a college due to other commitments like work and family. Besides Distance Education (DE) being convenient for students, it is also flexible: students have more options of when to study and where. DE is a great alternative to earning a traditional education. There are online classes and degrees to follow. It’s worth looking into for busy adults. Try it if you have not!
In order to judge whether or not DE will work or be beneficial for you, you need to experience it. Check to see if the chosen university has a tutorial for their online classes so that you can experience the format before enrolling.
Schools Offering Degrees and Courses in This FIeld
Listed here are schools that offer a variety of courses that fall in the area of PC maintenance technology.
- Stevens-Henager College offers many courses in their Bachelors of Science in Computer Science degree program that are helpful if pursuing A+ Certification. Once enrolled in the bachelors program, the school issues a laptop to students for completing their studies at a distance that they keep when they graduate! Financial aid is available for qualifying students. Tuition and fees are released and covered once students are admitted to the school. For more information, check out the school’s computer installation and repair studies program. The school is accredited by the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges (ACCSC).
- National American University (NAU) offers a Bachelors of Applied Science, which has courses in troubleshooting and hardware maintenance. NAU’s Applied Information Technology program may help individuals pass the A+ Certification exam. Financial aid, grants, loans, and scholarships are available for qualifying students. Tuition and fees are released and covered once students are admitted to the school. The school is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and is a member of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.
- California National University (CNU) offers a Bachelors in Computer Science. Course objectives cover the components of a computer system for implementation, maintenance, and management. The school even has Computer Engineering online courses that may appear interesting for some students as well. Bachelor courses cost $330.00 per unit; each course is three units. The school is nationally accredited by the Accrediting Commission of the Distance Education and Training Council (DETC).
Students wanting or needing additional PC Maintenance courses have three additional options that are great alternatives to earning a PC Maintenance Technology degree online.
- ICS (International Correspondence Schools) has its own personal tutors to help with course work.
- Ashworth University, formerly known as Professional Career Development Institute or PCDI, has a PC service and repair technician program that takes students through the step-by-step procedures covered in the A+ Certification exam.
- Stratford Career Institute offers an online / self-study PC Repair certificate or diploma program for $689 (it is the total cost of the course). This school is suitable for at-home career training!
Online School in the Spotlight:
- Penn Foster Career School offers a PC Maintenance and Repair program at the Associate’s Degree level (to start). All textbooks, study materials, and course supplies are included with this program. The school even has two similiar bachelor programs that may be of interest to students:
- Bachelor in Electronics and Computer Technology
- Bachelor of Science in PC and Networking Technology
Job Outlook for PC Maintenance Technicians
Who should earn an online bachelors degree in PC Maintenance Technology? People who like to take computers apart and put them together will enjoy this field. PC maintenance techs do just that! They know how a PC works. The job is suitable for anyone interested in computer assembly or maintenance. The pay is very good for a hardware engineer; even PC techs make several dollars in double-digits for every working hour.
It’s important for PC Maintenance Techs to know and have experience with computer hardware, i.e., equipment and components. Learning by hands-on, books, or online courses are all excellent ways to learning to be a PC maintenance tech. “Computer Maintenance Technology graduates hold titles such as computer technician, network technician, systems support specialist, tech support specialist, and field service or bench technician.” 
Those individuals who may want to be certified professionals in maintenance and care of computers may want to look into A+ Certification. “Students who attend distance education programs and receive certification or earn a degree in computer and appliance repair can find work as appliance repair technicians.” 
- National American University (NAU), http://www.national.edu/Programs/Undergraduate/bs_appliedIT/Pages/default.aspx
-  TSTC - Computer Maintenance Technology Career Outlook, http://tstc.edu/cmt/cmt_home/outlook.php
-  AcademicInfo: Online Computer & Appliance Repair Courses, Certificates & Online Classes, http://www.academicinfo.net/online-courses/computer-appliance-repair
- California National University (CNU), http://www.cnuas.edu/Online-Programs/Course-Listings/Engineering/computer-science.aspx
- Stevens-Henager College**,** http://www.stevenshenager.edu/computer-science-programs.html