Become a Tax Pro by Getting Your Master's in Taxation Online
Online Master’s Degree in Taxation
If you are ready to advance your career in a business related field, you might be ready to consider getting your masters degree in taxation. This degree can prepare you to advance your accounting career and also help if you are ready for a career switch. After you finish the degree program, you will be prepared to take the IRS Enrolled Agent Exam – if you wish – or perhaps sit for the CPA exam. Most of the credits required for the advanced degree programs require a heavy accounting credit load. A typical program requires you to attend the online school for around two years; this time can be cut down by taking a heavier class load. In most programs, 10 or more courses are usually required to complete a master’s of taxation degree.
This degree can be completed by attending classes online. You learn about corporate taxation, federal and state tax laws and even international taxation. The top schools have an AACSB accreditation which is given by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.
Some Colleges Offering Online Master’s in Taxation Programs
- Florida Atlantic College of Business - 30 credit hours required for graduation.
- William Howard Taft University - 30 units required for graduation. $395 per credit unit.
- The University of Tulsa - 30 credit hours required for graduation and no thesis required. $899 per credit hour.
- Golden Gate University - 30 units required for graduation. $2,490 per 3 credit unit course.
Typically you will need the following to apply:
- A bachelor’s degree.
- You must take the General Management Admission Test (GMAT). In some cases you can substitute a LSAT score for the GMAT.
- Application fee. The fees can range from $40-$100 in most cases.
- Some schools require you to pass prerequisite courses to enroll, if your undergraduate degree is not business related.
Program Costs and Financial Aid
The cost of getting a master’s in taxation varies from school to school. One example is William Howard Taft University, which charges $395 per unit; there are 30 units required to graduate. You would need $11,850 to complete the program plus a graduation fee and money for books. You can apply for financial aid by filling out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or checking with your employer for any financial aid programs they might offer. There is also always the option of taking out a private student loan out through your bank. The cost of earning your master’s differs from school to school. In general public and state schools will be cheaper than private schools. Schools with an AACSB will charge more in tuition than schools that do not hold this accreditation.
Please also see How to Get an Online Business Degree here on Bright Hub.