Teach the students about President’s Day. As a group activity, ask the students to name as many presidents that they can name. Write numbers one through forty-three on the chalk board. This is the number of presidents that we have had so far in the United States. As the students name the presidents, place them on the line that indicates the correct order of presidents. Older students can indicate in which place each president belongs. When the group cannot name any more presidents, then the teacher can fill in the blanks.
As you fill in the blanks tell the students an interesting fact about each president. Learning an interesting fact may help them to remember the president later on. When you are finished with the activity, then tell the children that they are going to make a tasty treat that will use the three colors of the American flag, red, white, and blue. The recipe will require them to use measurement and following directions skills. Older students can be placed into small groups to read, measure, and follow the directions independently.
You will need the following ingredients for the coconut balls:
- Coconut flakes
- Powdered sugar
- Cream cheese
- Vanilla extract
- Red food coloring
- Blue food coloring
- Three small bowls
- One large bowl
- Mixing spoon
Follow the directions below to create the coconut balls:
- In a large bowl combine 3 ounces of cream cheese and 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar.
- When the mixture becomes smooth you can add 1/4 teaspoon of vanilla extract and two shakes of salt.
- Mix together and then roll in to small bite sized balls.
- In one small bowl pour in coconut flakes.
- In the second small bowl pour in coconut flakes and add 6 drops of red food coloring. Mix together.
- In the third small bowl pour in coconut flakes and add 6 drops of blue food coloring. Mix together.
- Now roll 1/3 of the balls into the plain white coconut flakes.
- Roll another 1/3 into the red coconut flakes.
- Roll the last 1/3 into the blue coconut flakes.
- Eat immediately or cool in the refrigerator for 20 minutes and then eat.
More President’s Day Projects from this Author: