- slide 1 of 11
If you have recently upgraded to Internet Explorer 7 (abbreviated IE 7), you may have noticed that the Internet Options menu has additional functionality. Your Internet browsing history, cookies, temporary files, and saved passwords and forms can now be deleted with the click of a button. You can also manage tabs and tabbed homepages using the Internet Options screen. Read on to learn more about configuring Internet Options in IE 7.
- slide 2 of 11
Configure Browsing History
- Click on Tools on the explorer tool bar in the upper right of the page.
- Click Internet Options in the drop-down menu. This opens the Internet Options dialog window.
- Click on the General tab.
- Go to the Browsing History section.
- Click the Settings button. This opens the Temporary Internet Files window.
- Check the option for Every time I visit the webpage.
- Click OK.
- slide 4 of 11
Configure Security Settings
- Select the Security tab at the top of the Internet Options dialog window.
- Change the security level from IE’s default setting of Medium-High, by adjusting the slide bar upward or downward to your desired setting.
- Click on the Custom Level button if you would like to make the adjustment manually.
- slide 5 of 11
- If you adjust the setting to high, IE will prompt you for permission before completing many actions.
- Most cookies will also be disabled, so they will not be able to do any tracking. However, keep in mind that some websites require that you have cookies enabled so as to interact with their site.
- slide 10 of 11
Configure the IE Popup Blocker
Another important setting that you may want to configure in Internet Explorer 7 is the pop-up blocker. Pop-ups are not only irritating, but also present a potential security risk, so it is strongly recommended that you enable the pop-up blocker to prevent any unnecessary stress or hassle.
- Check the box to turn on the pop-up blocker.
- Click the Settings button.
- Enter any websites that you want to allow to pop-ups from.
- Click the Add button to enter each link.
- Check the boxes in the Notifications and Filter Level as desired.
- Use the drop-down menu in the Filter Level to select a filtering level.