- slide 1 of 4
What is a Proactive Protection Method?
Proactive protection is a method used by antivirus, antimalware or antispyware to prevent or block infection. For example, real-time monitoring by security tools to watch the computer for malicious activity and on-access scanning to ensure no malicious files are running, executed or copied are called proactive protection. A firewall program is also using proactive protection to prevent attacks or intrusions into a network. This is why it's highly recommended that all internet users protect their data with a method of proactive computer virus protection against spyware or other type of malware.
- slide 2 of 4
Anti-Virus Programs Using Proactive Protection
Most major antivirus software packages provide proactive protection, but below is the list of widely-used antivirus program that have continuously received an advanced rating by antivirus laboratory testing:
- Microsoft Security Essentials - The free anti-virus and anti-malware from Microsoft provides real-time protection when you download or execute a file.
- Avira AntiVir Personal - This program provides on-access protection while you download or view a webpage.
- Alwil Avast! Free Antivirus - With its network and web shields in addition to on-access virus protection, Avast! clearly provides good proactive protection for Windows.
- ESET NOD32 - ESET is known to provide fast proactive protection against new and known malware threats by scanning the traffic in browsers, emails and traffic to and from the computer.
- F-Secure Anti-Virus - With its DeepGuard component and on-access virus protection, F-Secure has good protection for PCs.
- Kaspersky Anti-virus - The popular anti-trojan program also provides good protection against malware infections in Windows.
- slide 3 of 4
Anti-Spyware and Anti-Malware Programs Using Proactive Protection
Some anti-spyware programs offer proactive protection in addition to reactive protection. Below is list of anti-spyware software with such protection thave have been proven to be useful in addition to using an anti-virus program:
- Ad-Aware Internet Security Free - The on-access protection by its Ad-Watch Live! will prevent infections.
- Spybot - Search & Destroy - This popular program has TeaTimer, Resident Shield and system immunization to prevent infections in Windows.
- Windows Defender - The built-in anti-spyware in Vista and Windows 7 has been improved to protect against malicious downloads and execution of spyware or other malware programs.
- Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - The paid edition offers proactive protection against malware and unwanted websites.
- EmsiSoft Anti-Malware - An anti-malware, anti-trojan and anti-spyware that is fast to include new threat detection to prevent infection, in real-time. Note that the paid edition offers proactive prevention.
- SUPERAntiSpyware - The paid edition includes First Chance Prevention to block infection before the PC is even started. On-access or proactive protection is also provided.
- slide 4 of 4
It has been said many times that prevention is better than cure. The above methods of proactive computer virus protection/spyware prevention are quite important to save time and money that would be lost cleaning an infected computer. You also naturally wouldn't want to infect computers in your network or spread malware or malicious e-mails to your contacts. Use proactive protection instead of an on-demand scanner as protection. On-demand scanners only help to verify and remove existing infections and do not prevent new infections on your PC that might cause data loss.
Screenshots Provided by Author