Windows 7 ships with an integrated backup solution which can be found Control Panel, yet one size doesn’t fit all. We have been looking for the best free Windows 7 backup programs based on what’s around for Windows Vista, yet many vendors have either seized producing new backup software, or no longer provide freeware. Therefore, the majority of entries in our top free backup programs Windows 7 list have been candidates. Our list of free Windows 7 backup programs currently comprises (random order):
- Comodo BackUp - https://backup.comodo.com
- GFI Backup - https://www.gfi.com/backup-software-for-business no longer free!
- FBackup - https://www.fbackup.com
- Drive Backup Free Edition - https://www.paragon-software.com no longer freeware!
- TrueSafe Personal Edition - https://www.qpointsoft.com
- AceBackup - https://www.acebackup.com/download.htm
- Cobian Backup - https://www.educ.umu.se/~cobian/cbnew.htm
- Karen’s Replicator - https://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
- JaBack - https://www.hiteksoftware.com/jaba/index.htm
- Windows 7 Backup and Restore – Control Center of any Windows 7 based computer
Comodo Backup (5 out of 5)
Comodo Backup greatly outperforms Windows 7 integrated backup. You can, for instance backup and restore from network locations, something which has now been reserved for users of the Windows 7 (expensive) flagship editions and upsets users of Windows Vista when upgrading from Vista which didn’t restrict networked backups to Ultimate or Enterprise editions as explained in our article Backup: What’s New in Windows 7?
Comodo Backup, which is completely free but can be extended to include online storage, has much more to offer than Windows 7 Backup and Restore Center. Find here all in Bright Hub’s article Comodo Backup 2.0 Review - Free Top Backup Software for Windows and Windows 7.
FBackup (4 out of 5)
FBackup is a top free backup software which has been successfully tested on 32 and 64-bit Windows 7 RC. The main features of FBackup are ad-hoc as well as automatic backups, ZIP compression backups, 1:1 backups, multi-language support and saving open files trough volume shadow services. On top of that does FBackup support multiple backup destinations and various plug-ins for applications.
Windows 7 Backup and Restore Center (3 out of 5)
All Windows 7 editions ship with an integrated backup and restore utility. Please find Windows 7 backup and restore including system imaging discussed in depth in Bright Hub’s article How to Use Backup and Restore in Windows 7.
This list of top free Windows 7 backup programs has been last updated on 13 May 2011, when it was found that Cobian Backup in version 10 supports Windows 7, however the software has not yet been tested by us.
From the available current choice of Windows 7 compatible software we recommend Windows’s 7 integrated system (state) imaging found in Backup and Restore center in conjunction with Comodo Backup.