PC Tools is Not Connected
PC Tools is a security software vendor that provides Spyware Doctor anti-spyware and antivirus programs. They also offer Internet security software that includes firewall protection. Like many other security programs, Spyware Doctor requires its program modules and services to be running to function properly. If a computer is displaying “PC Tools Spyware Doctor disconnected” status via its tray icon, the program may not function properly. To resolve the problem with Spyware Doctor’s connection status, you can try the possible solutions in the following sections of this article.
Conflicting Programs: Installed or Removed
Security software is known to conflict with several programs that provide real-time protection against malware. Ensure that you’ve configured Spyware Doctor using the following settings:
- Your computer must have only one antivirus program. Remove other antivirus software installed on the computer. If you previously removed security software to use the antivirus software by PC Tools, make sure that no more drivers from the previous security software are still installed on the computer. To check and remove the obsolete drivers from other security software that may be conflicting with Spyware Doctor, follow the guide in the next section “Show and removed hidden drivers in Windows”.
- If the computer does not have other security software drivers, configure the program to use compatibility mode: Open Spyware Doctor > Settings > Advanced. Put a checkmark before the box for Enable kernel compatibility mode. Click Apply and then reboot the computer.
Show Hidden Drivers in Windows
Some drivers from antivirus and anti-spyware programs that have been removed from the computer may continue to exist in Windows. This can cause conflict with the antivirus protection that you currently use. Check the system for hidden drivers left over from removed security programs:
- Right-click My Computer.
- Click Properties.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click the Environment Variables tab.
- Set the variables in the System Variables box. Close the system properties window.
- Open the Device Manager in Windows: type devmgmt.msc in the run box to display this console, or simply type Device Manager in the run box in Vista and Windows 7.
- Click View in the menu bar and select Show hidden devices.
- The list of installed devices or drivers in Windows will refresh.
- Expand Non-plug and play drivers and review the list of drivers. Any item that is grayed out is a remnant or orphan of software that was removed from your computer.
- To delete orphaned drivers, right-click the item and then select uninstall.
Reinstall PC Tools Program
If the above solution for the PC Tools Spyware disconnected status message is not enough, uninstall and reinstall Spyware Doctor.
After removing Spyware Doctor, reboot the computer and then delete the PC Tools Security folder in C:\Program Files. Proceed to download the latest setup file of PC Tools program to install in Windows.
Malware can stop the services of some antivirus protection. In some cases, rootkit infection can cause the PC Tools Spyware Doctor disconnected message in the tray icon. Scan the computer for rootkit infection using the tools below, if reinstalling Spyware Doctor will not solve the problem.
Source: Author Experience
Image Credit: Screenshots provided by the writer