McAfee and Thunderbird Issues
Thunderbird is a popular email and news reader from Mozilla. The program is reported to have problems when using McAfee Antivirus Plus. This antivirus program by McAfee includes anti-spam protection which means McAfee software can integrate the protection tool in Thunderbird. If you are having issues in using McAfee Antivirus Plus and Thunderbird, try the solutions in this article.
McAfee Antivirus Plus Not Working With Thunderbird?
When your McAfee Antivirus Plus
is not working with Thunderbird email, let’s look at why this is happening first. The anti-spam protection in McAfee Antivirus Plus has had known issues in Thunderbird. The anti-spam protection won’t work or the icons added by McAfee in the email program are not visible. This problem is known to McAfee and they have a release to fix this problem.
The fix by McAfee for Thunderbird users is to install the software upgrade for McAfee Antivirus Plus. The versions of McAfee modules that include the known fix are:
- McAfee Security Center version 10.5 (Build 10.5.221)
- McAfee Virus Scan version 14.5 (Build 14.5.130)
- Anti-spam version 11.5 (Build 11.5.141)
If you have the above or later versions, but the problem with Thunderbird is not fixed, reinstall McAfee Antivirus Plus but don’t forget to reboot the computer after removing McAfee.
McAfee AntiVirus Plus and Thunderbird Toolbar
Another known issue when using older builds of the McAfee program is the toolbar setting for Thunderbird is modified by McAfee and the toolbar settings you use are not applied. This problem of McAfee Antivirus and Thunderbird is also fixed in the above-mentioned version or builds of McAfee software.
Ensure that McAfee antivirus is configured to check for updates. However, if you did not receive the software upgrade notice or the product failed to install the latest builds for McAfee programs, login to your McAfee account to download the new installer of the McAfee software. Don’t forget to download McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) which you can use to reinstall McAfee. Read the guide in removing McAfee programs.
Email Time Out When Using McAfee AntiVirus Plus and Thunderbird
McAfee provides email protection by scanning incoming and outgoing emails. There is also an issue that was reported by Thunderbird users regarding time-out when sending or receiving emails. The problem is not related to McAfee Antivirus Plus or other antivirus software programs but its by design in the Thunderbird email program. Mozilla has increased the amount of data that Thunderbird version 3 can send without waiting for an acknowledgment from the SMTP server.
To solve the time-out issue in Thunderbird, change the configuration of Thunderbird in Windows or Mac and Linux by decreasing the allowed outstanding data.
- Open Thunderbird > Options (for Windows and Linux) or Preferences (for Mac).
- Click Advanced > General > Config Editor button.
- You’ll be warned that changes are not recommended, simply click the button for “I’ll be careful, I promise!”
- In the window where the variables are displayed, right-click (or control-click, on a Mac) to get a contextual menu.
- Select New > Integer in the contextual menu.
- Type network.tcp.sendbuffer > click OK.
- In the next window, type 65536 > click OK.
- Close any opened window and try using Thunderbird again.
Screenshot taken by the author courtesy of McAfee.