Many people wonder how they can find out their router’s WEP password. Password recovery for a WEP Password can be a tricky task. People often forget their router’s pass code for many reasons. Either they haven’t used their home’s wireless internet in quite some time, they lost the piece of paper they wrote their password on or something else. Whatever the case may be, password recovery of a WEP password is vital so that you can use your computer or gadget’s WIFI capabilities.
This article will give step by step instructions on how you can recover a WEP password.
Password Recovery for WEP: Step One
- Password Recovery for WEP: Step One - Go to start and search for “command prompt”. You should see a program called “Command Prompt” which has an image next to it like the one below, click on that program. By the way, make sure you are using a computer (not a laptop) that is connected to your router through a wired ethernet connection.
Password Recovery for WEP: Step Two
- Password Recovery for WEP: Step Two - Once you open Command Prompt type in ipconfig. Don’t click around anywhere in command prompt. As soon as the program opens type ipconfig. You already are in the correct location for typing ipconfig so don’t worry about where to type it.
Password Recovery for WEP: Step Three
- Password Recovery for WEP: Step Three - Look for your default gateway. Your default gateway is the number that comes up next to default gateway in command prompt. Normally it is something like 192.168.0.1 but not always. If you’re not sure what the gateway is, consult your router’s manual. Write this number down on a piece of paper so that you can refer to it in the next step.
Password Recovery for WEP: Step Four
- Password Recovery for WEP: Step Four - Type in the default gateway into the address bar of your web browser.
Password Recovery for WEP: Step Five
- Password Recovery for WEP: Step Five - After completing step four you will be redirected to your router’s information page. You will be prompted to type in the username and/or password for your router. The username is given to you, sign in as admin or administrator. The password varies depending on the company your router is made by. The most common router passwords are password, admin, and nothing (and by nothing I mean don’t type anything into the password field just leave it blank and click submit). If you have also forgotten your router’s login information you may need to reset your router completely.
Password Recovery for WEP: Step Six
Password Recovery for WEP: Step Six - Once you login all your router’s information will be displayed including your router’s WEP password.
So it’s as easy as that! Now you can connect to your home’s secure wireless network.