1. Birth: November 20, 1889
2. Birth Place: Marshfield, Missouri, U.S
3. Nationality: American
4. Father: John Powell Hubble
5. Mother: Virginia Lee James
6. Marriage: In 1924, he married Grace Burke-Lieb.
7. Field: Astrophysics
8. Academic Background: He completed the bachelor of science degree from the University of Chicago in 1910, mainly studying physics, maths and astronomy. Later, he also studied jurisprudence and took a postgraduate major in Spanish from the Oxford University. He earned his Ph.D from the University of Chicago in 1917, while doing research at their Yerkes Observatory.
9. Post College: He taught Spanish, physics and mathematics at the New Albany high school in Indiana before taking up a staff position in California.
10. Major Contributions: Discovery of galaxies beyond the Milky Way; Hubble's Law and expansion of the Universe; Discovery of asteroid 1373 Cincinnati; Hubble's galaxy classification and the tuning fork diagram.
11. Awards and Honours: He was awarded the Catherine Wolfe Bruce Gold Medal in 1938; the Franklin Medal in physics in 1939; the Gold Medal of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1940 and the Medal of Merit for outstanding contribution to ballistics research in 1946. He has a crater on the moon, an asteroid and the most powerful space telescope of the 20th century named after him.
12. Death: September 28, 1953 at San Marino, California.
(Top-left: Edwin Hubble. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Edwinhubble.jpg)
(Bottom-right: Hubble Space Telescope. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HST-SM4.jpeg)