Assessing Your Own DTP Skills and Potential
There are no cookie-cutter tools to DTP success, and many entrepreneurs that try to launch companies on the backs of consumer software or templates find themselves hunting for new careers quickly.
If you already have experience with desktop publishing tools and design principles, it will be easy to launch your own DTP business. If you are totally new to desktop publishing, you can assess your potential by asking yourself a few key questions.
• Are you able to sell your services confidently to new clients?
• Are you capable of managing multiple projects simultaneously?
• Do you notice tiny details in magazines and on movie posters?
• Can you identify high quality designs and put your own spin on them?
• Can you deliver what a customer wants, even if it doesn’t totally fit your artistic vision?
If you can answer “yes" to all five of these questions, you have the potential to become the owner of a successful desktop publishing business. A variety of online and in-person career training programs can help you build the tactical skills necessary to serve your clients.