The Self-Publishing, Self-Promotion Way
This is the most challenging but also the most lucrative way of publishing your eBook. It entails a lot of background research on e-publishing and e-marketing. However, if you are thinking of publishing more than one eBook it may be worth the effort. You need:
- A PDF creator (e.g. cutePDF or OpenOffice). Such a program can be online or offline.
- A program to transform your eBook into various eReader formats (e.g. .epub). Such a program can be found online.
- Registration of your copyright (this is optional but recommended).
- A professional-looking website.
- Various channels for promoting your eBook website.
- A good price policy.
- A few freebies and other promotional materials.
- And, of course, as many backlinks from relevant websites as possible.
The cost of this way of publishing is relatively high if you are not experienced in the relevant technology; you may need to hire one or more freelancers for building, hosting and promoting. Also, if you don't have graphic design skills, you might want to hire a designer for your eBook cover--something that cannot be overlooked if you plan to actually make some money from your eBook. Needless to say, before you put your eBook on the Internet for sale, you should proofread and edit it, something that may incur an additional cost (it is not recommended that you do these things yourself). If you don't want to hire someone else to do it, you can try doing it using a computer program such as Whitesmoke (at Whitesmoke.com).