How to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on Motorola Droid
Complete Guide: Installing Android 2.3 Gingerbread on Motorola Droid
1. To install Android 2.3 on your Motorola Droid using this method, you need to have ROM Manager installed on your phone to install, backup and restore ROMs.
To use ROM Manager, your Motorola Droid should be rooted. If it isn't, first root your Droid and then come back to this tutorial.
2. Go to the Android Market on your Motorola Droid and search for the ROM Manager app. Download the Clockwork Mod ROM Manager application and install it. Using this application, you can flash ROMs on your phone, backup your ROM and also restore from existing ROMs.
3. Download the Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM backup for the Motorola Droid by Steinman and Neubanks89.
4. Start ROM Manager and select the Flash Clockworkmod Recovery option to install the recovery image and backup the current ROM on your Droid.
5. Copy the Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM you downloaded and copy it to your SD card \ Clockwork mod \ Backup after connecting your phone to your PC.
5. Now start the ROM Manager app again, and go to Manage and Restore Backups. Select the Android 2.3 Gingerbread backup ROM you downloaded and click on Restore.
7. ROM Manager will restore your Motorola Droid using this ROM with Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
Your phone should be running Android 2.3 in a few minutes. If you encounter any problem with the process, just go to ROM Manager and restore your original ROM.
Android 2.3 Backup ROM Source: Droid Forums
If you have any problems with the ROM restoring process or want an update to this ROM, check out Droid Forums.