- slide 1 of 2
Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC Droid Eris
The HTC Droid Eris hasn't been a very popular phone. It was launched as a mid-range Android smartphone when there were many other better options already available. It was a decent hit though, and is still available on Verizon.
Android 2.3 Gingerbread was launched about a month back and is officially available only on the Nexus S. However, there are many unofficial Android 2.3 ROMs floating around for many popular devices like the HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Droid X, HTC Desire and the HTC Legend.
Even the HTC Droid Eris has an Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM available, which has a few bugs but works well. It is an experimental build, and is to be installed at your own risk. It includes all the Google apps for Android. Most of the features work well, but there are some issues too. The new version is quite stable and runs without crashing. I would recommend the Kaos 6 Gingerbread ROM for the Droid Eris.
In this tutorial, I will explain how you can install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on your HTC Droid Eris.
- slide 2 of 2
How to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC Droid Eris: Complete Upgrade Guide
1. Download the Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM for the HTC Droid Eris.
I would recommend the Kaos Gingerbread ROM v6. You can download it here.
Download Kaos Gingerbread v6 Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM for HTC Droid Eris.
2. Connect your phone to your PC, or use a memory card reader to copy the Android 2.3 ROM to your SD card. Insert the SD card back into your phone.
3. Download the ROM Manager application from Android Market (Clockworkmod ROM Manager) and install it. ROM Manager will help you install, back up and restore ROMs easily.
4. Start ROM Manager and select the Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery option to install the recovery image which you will need if things go wrong. Also select the Backup Current ROM option to take a backup of your current ROM and save it on your device.
5. Now click on Install ROM from SD Card to install the Android 2.3 Gingerbread Kaos v6 ROM. Select the Wipe Data and Cache option before you start the ROM flashing.
In a few minutes, your phone should reboot and it will be running Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
If you have any problems with ROM Manager, just boot into the recovery mode manually and install the Android 2.3 ROM directly.
Also note, that you should have root access on your HTC Droid Eris in order to flash ROMs using ROM Manager.
Android 2.3 for HTC Droid Eris ROM Source: XDA
In case you have any doubts or any issues, comment here or leave a comment on the Kaos Gingerbread thread at XDA.