written by: Vincent Frogameni•edited by: Simon Hill•updated: 12/27/2010
In this tutorial, I will explain how you can install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on the HTC EVO 4G.
slide 1 of 2
How to Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC EVO 4G
The HTC EVO 4G was one of the first Android smartphones which came with a monstrous 1 GHz processor (at least that's what it felt like when it was launched, they may be common now) and 512 MB RAM. It also kickstarted the trend of huge displays in Android devices, sporting a 4.3 inch touchscreen display.
It was initially launched with Android 2.1 Eclair but did get an upgrade to Android 2.2 Froyo by Sprint. Now, however, even Android 2.2 Froyo is outdated, as Google has launched Android 2.3 Gingerbread which is currently available only on the Nexus S. But the best thing about Android is that it's open source. Many developers have already compiled builds of Android 2.3 for various phones, the HTC EVO 4G being one of them.
Using this tutorial, you can now install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on your HTC EVO 4G. I have to warn you beforehand, that the process is a bit risky, so only follow these steps if you are prepared to. We are not responsible for any damage that may happen to your phone.
Having said that, this particular build of Android 2.3 for the HTC EVO 4G is quite stable and works well, as attested to by many users. Some features may not work perfectly though. Here's the complete tutorial to install Android 2.3 on your HTC EVO 4G.
slide 2 of 2
Install Android 2.3 Gingerbread on HTC EVO 4G
Here are the steps you must follow to install Android 2.3 on the HTC EVO 4G.
1. Download the Evervolv v1.0.0 a9 Android 2.3 Gingerbread ROM for your HTC EVO 4G. You will need this ROM to install Android 2.3 on your phone. It has been compiled from the Android 2.3 AOSP source.
2. Install the ROM Manager application. Go to Android Market and search for ROM Manager. Install the Clockwork Mod ROM Manager app. Remember that you need to have root access on your HTC EVO 4G to install it.
3. Start ROM Manager and click on the Flash Clockwork Mod Recovery option to create a recovery image for your phone. After this, click on Backup Current ROM to backup your data and your current ROM. The backup will be saved in your SD card.
4. Now connect your phone to your PC, and copy that downloaded ROM to your SD card.
5. Open the ROM Manager application again, and click on Install ROM from SD card. Select the ROM you just copied and press OK to continue the installation. In a few minutes, the installation should be complete and your HTC EVO 4G will be running Android 2.3.
6. If you want to go back to your backup (original ROM), start ROM Manager and restore from your backup file on the SD card.
Congratulations, you have successfully installed Android 2.3 Gingerbread on the HTC EVO 4G.