Properties & Uses of Aluminum..!!
If we look at any thing in our environment, it's not free of aluminum and its compounds. It made a great revolution such that many materials where substituted by aluminum and its compounds. The properties of aluminum are so splendid that any thing can be done with it. The basic properties of aluminum includes its ductility and malleability, allowing it to be drawn easily in the form of wire & can be hammered to any shape. Also it is anti-corrosive nature worked wonders in case of constructional materials used in offshore platforms and marine structures. It is also of very less weight with adequate strength and structural stability. It is thermally & electrical conductive in nature. It is versatile too..Literally the aluminum which was produced for the first time, is still somewhere in use. It can be recycled infinitely.
Uses Of Aluminum:
1. Automotive Industry: Today everyone talk about the "Hybrid cars, electric cars, bio-fuels etc.."..But all these things come only secondary. The automotive engineers at the first step aim at the weight reduction. They feel that weight of a vehicle is the "Killer of Efficiency". The world instead of using steel and other counterparts started to use aluminum, which greatly reduced the weight of the vehicles. Every components like piston, cylinder heads, car hood, doors, frames, wheel rims & radiators etc.. got substituted with aluminum, thus reducing fuel consumption, and there by the Green House Gases(G.H.G). This also improved vehicles speed and efficiency and reduced the pollution levels.
2. Aviation: Is it posible for an aircraft to take-off if the body is built of heavy material? Definitely yes. But with a more high powered engine, lengthy run ways and reduced cargo/passenger capacity. With the use of aluminum, the engine power and in turn the amount of fuel used drastically came down,thus causing minimal pollution.
3. Electrical Power Distribution: Ever wondered what material is used for electrical power transmission all over the world? It is aluminum. To be specific, we use ACSR--aluminum conductor with steel re-inforcement. They are used for many electrical benefits like low Corona loss & Skin effect. The life span of these wires are more thus reducing the maintenance & erection costs.These conductors are comparatively cheaper than copper, with lesser power loss.
4. Cooking, Beverage Cans & Packing materials: We all know that right from soft drinks to beer, everyone prefers to take in a can rather glass bottles. Also if we have a closer look, for each and every cooking utensil has aluminum in it and not to forget the aluminum foil wrappers used for ice-creams, yoghurts and for covering the cooked food.
5. Also not to forget the usage of aluminum for the building and construction, like roofing, sliding windows etc & for even sports equipments like golf clubs and baseball bats.