Common Ingredients of Non-Toxic Baby Powders
Baby powders not containing talc are typically made from any, or a combination of the following non-toxic ingredients:
• Aloe vera: A plant-based ingredient found in many organic cosmetics, aloe vera works to soothe and heal chafed skin.
• Arrowroot powder: An herb-based powder, arrowroot is frequently mixed with cornstarch to make organic baby powders. Arrowroot powder is soft against baby’s skin, and effective in healing irritated or blemished skin.
• Cornstarch: Made from corn kernels, cornstarch is comparable to talc in terms of keeping the skin smooth and dry, but it is not associated with known health issues.
• Kaolin clay: Naturally occurring in powder form, this mineral is absorbent and ideal for use on sensitive skin
• Essential oils: Derived from plants, essential oils such as lavender and calendula add a natural and gentle scent to baby powder.
If you have these items at home, you can try your hand at making this simple, natural non-toxic baby powder recipe below:
Floral Baby Powder
- ½ cup cornstarch, or arrowroot powder
- a handful of dried rose petals, or desired dried flowers
- 5 drops lavender, or geranium essential oil
Combine all ingredients in a coffee grinder. Mix to consistency of a fine powder, and then pour through a sieve. Store powder in an airtight container.
You can safely use this eco-friendly powder with many other natural products, such as homemade baby oil, cloth diapers, organic baby wipes, and homemade baby shampoo.