- slide 1 of 6
Eco-friendly pantyhose recycling methods help to reduce the production of nylon, a common fiber used to make women’s stockings. Nylon is a non-biodegradable material that requires significant energy consumption to make pantyhose.
In years past, many women have unwittingly thrown away old or damaged nylon panty hose not knowing about any environmental dangers in discarding such a simple product. Today, women can prevent their garments from building up in landfills by reusing old pantyhose. And with the advent of green products in the marketplace, consumers can buy nylon-free pantyhose made from organic materials.
- slide 2 of 6
Household Ideas for Organic Pantyhose
Panty hose can easily be transformed into household cleaning, storage, and decorative objects. The following ideas involve reusing clean pantyhose for indoor use.
1) For cleaning: Pantyhose can be cut up into both small and large polishing cloths. Use the pantyhose to shine shoes, dust knick-knacks, clean appliances, and polish furniture. Make a handy quick-cleaning cloth by cutting the foot section off the panty hose and then stretching it around your hand to use a cleaning mitt.
2) For storage: Stretch pantyhose legs to store wrapping paper, or produce and plastic bags. Since the material is porous and able to circulate air for freshness, pantyhose are perfect for storing vegetables like garlic bulbs or onions.
3) For decoration: Make pantyhose sachets filled with potpourri, spices, or scented bath beads. Tie off the ends of the sachets with ribbons and use the sachets as room or closet fresheners. The elastic waistband of colored panty hose can be recycled into a pretty headband.
- slide 3 of 6
Outdoor Ideas for Reusing Pantyhose
If you have a green thumb, you can repurpose pantyhose for use in your garden and convert them into:
- ties that keep plants securely attached to stakes.
- storage bags for flower bulbs and seeds.
- liners for flowerpots.
- coverings for plants, to protect against garden bugs.
- slide 4 of 6
Buying Organic Pantyhose
There are a few eco friendly clothing companies that sell nylon free panty hose and tights:
Sternlein Organic Hosiery is manufactured from wool and organic cotton fibers. Available for both women and children, Sternlein pantyhose are sold in a variety of colors and patterns.
Maggie's Functional Organics offers organic cotton-blend lightweight, knit, textured, and striped tights for carbon-conscious consumers.
Country Kids, a division of Jeffries Socks, has a line of 82% organic tights for children and young teens. These tights are available in a range of fun colors and designs.
- slide 5 of 6
When consumers conserve wastes by finding alternative uses for nylon hose and by purchasing organic hosiery, we can make a solid contribution toward green living practices. The decision to recycle old items of clothing is one that can benefit both present and future generations
- slide 6 of 6
2) Maggie's Functional Organics--http://www.maggiesorganics.com/2010_product_item.php?cat_id=2
3) Country Kids--http://www.jefferiessocks.com/0500-organic-tights.html