- slide 1 of 3
The Importance of Regular Map Updating
Maps are among the most important features of every satellite navigator. Without it, acquiring route and navigational information would be impossible. It is important that you update your Garmin maps.
Here are some of the reasons:
- Roads and streets sometimes undergo construction, i.e. widening, improvement, and rerouting.
- Outdated maps do not give accurate information which may cause you to drive out of the path.
- Updated maps offer more useful features.
Garmin map updating doesn’t have to be complicated. All you have to do is follow some simple steps and processes and voila!
- slide 2 of 3
Easy Garmin Maps Updating Steps
- Just log on to the Garmin official website, and check for their latest map updates. Garmin GPS releases annual map updates, so always check for the release date.
- Check for the different options that you can have. Garmin map updates have different prices depending on your registration. The prices are $65.00 for your first map update and $119.00 for a lifetime map update. If your Garmin satellite navigator device is a newly purchased device, then you may be eligible for a free map update. You can check your eligibility for free map updates directly at the Garmin website.
- Launch the map update in your computer, and connect your GPS to it. Once downloaded, Garmin will give you a serial number. Remember that maps would only work to the actual device registered in Garmin. Save the serial number for later purposes.
- After downloading and getting the serial number, click next and just follow the on-screen update and installation guides.
- After the map update and installation is through, disconnect your GPS from the computer, and check if your GPS maps have been updated. You will see that your maps have been updated if new maps have been listed.
- If ever your map update failed, just do the process again. Some people complained of not being able to update their GPS maps. Problems in updating sometimes occur because GPS applications and functions are required to be updated first before the maps. Sometimes it is also some instructions and guides were failed to be followed.
To avoid encountering different problems and errors in updating your Garmin GPS maps, it is advisable that you read carefully the instructions on the screen.
- slide 3 of 3
Some other tips in updating your GPS maps
- Make sure that you have enough memory. Map updates may require 2GB of memory so prepare.
- Check for the necessary updates on your device.
- Make sure that your GPS is properly connected.
- Be sure that you are using the registered device when you update your map.
- Check if your Garmin GPS is supported by the update.
Updating your Garmin GPS map is easy. Just make sure that you have all the necessary requirements and, again, follow the steps carefully. Check for the latest Garmin map update for your device and be on track with your destination.