- slide 2 of 7
About the Nikon D40
Digital SLR cameras are great for any photographer that is interested in shooting professional pictures. One camera especially good for just this purpose is the Nikon D40 Digital SLR. Compared to other digital SLR cameras, the Nikon D40 is ranked at the top. Not only does the camera produce professional, high-quality shots, it is relatively inexpensive. If you are a first time SLR buyer or want the look and feel of an SLR without the bulky variety of functions and exterior features, then the Nikon D40 is a camera you should consider.
The D40 is one of Nikon's most smallest digital SLR cameras. At first, the D40 may seem a little complicated to use, but after a few days you'll be used to it – and probably won't go anywhere without it. Since it is still an SLR but not like its competition cameras, all of the functions and navigation had to be placed on the back of the camera, which is no problem because it isn't too cramped. This camera is perfect for any budding photographer on a budget, or someone who wants professional shots without the professional, bulky camera. Quick, reliable, and high quality - all you would expect in a digital SLR and so much more.
- slide 3 of 7
In the BoxRating
- AF-S DX 55-200mm lens
- AF-S DX 18-55mm lens
- Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery
- Neck Strap
- Software CD-ROM
- USB Cable
- AF-S DX 55-200mm lens
- slide 4 of 7
Even though the Nikon D40 is a Digital SLR, it's not as bulky (it's only 16 oz!) and heavy as its competitors. This is Nikon's smallest and one of the top rated Digital SLR cameras. Even first time Digital SLR users will have no problem operating and learning the controls of this compact camera.
- slide 5 of 7
- 2.5-inch LCD Screen: View your photos in vivid colors with this crisp screen.
- Start-up and Response Time: This camera is fast to start up and flip through images, which is definitely one of its better features.
- Battery: The Nikon D40 runs on a rechargeable Lithium ION battery. This definitely beats carrying around AA batteries.
- Shutter Speed: You can capture up to 2.5 shots every second.
- Image Optimization: The image optimization allows you to change the color of the photograph. Your options are: Normal, Softer, Portrait, Vivid, More Vivid, Custom and Black and White.
- Continuous Shooting: With the D40, you can shoot 2 frames per second!
- In-camera Image Editing: You can easily crop, remove red eyes, fix lighting, and use filter effects right on the camera.
- Shooting Modes: Auto, auto without flash, landscape, portrait, night portrait close-up, sports, and child.
- slide 6 of 7
- Auto-focus: Although there is auto-focus, it is on the lens and not the camera.
- Aperture: There are no aperture numbers or rings on the lens.
- slide 7 of 7
Price to ValueRating
You can buy the Nikon D40 for about $446.95. For less than $500.00, you're getting a Digital SLR that's lightweight and easy to use, has an abundance of features, and takes amazing pictures.