- slide 1 of 5
Learning About the Human Body
The branches of science pertaining to the study of organs and cells that comprise the human body, are different from the branches of science that study the human form and how the body system works. The latter is about the study of human anatomy, while the former deals with the physiology and functions of a human's bodily parts.
In taking up an online course pertaining to the physiological study of human body parts, the student will have to go through different levels of learning:
- The most basic and first level will approach the study of the chemical substances considered as necessary to human life.
- The second level deals with the study of human tissues, with particular interest in the muscle, nervous, connective, and surface or skin tissues.
- The third level of study is concerned with the human organs. The typical organs to be studied are the heart, stomach, lungs, and liver.
- The fourth and final level will dwell on all the major body systems: digestive, nervous, endocrine, circulatory, respiratory, reproductive, and urinary systems.
- slide 2 of 5
Who Makes Use of These Studies?
Occupations that make use of human physiology knowledge include the biological researchers or scientists in relationship to the environment. There are also those who render physical therapy assistance to recuperating patients in hospitals.
The most common users of these levels of learning are the fitness trainers who are employed by spas and gyms, where they are expected to organize health and fitness programs that will bring about sound physiological improvements among the fitness centers' enrollees.
However, most communities now have an abundance of fitness trainers in their midst; hence, there has been a slackening of demand coming from health spas and gyms. Although the demand has increased in medical communities, their needs are provided by professionals who apply scientific approaches in improving or maintaining the hospital patient’s health and condition by way of exercises. Fitness trainers can aim for this occupation by taking up a human physiology online course, in order to become the type of exercise physiologists demanded by medical communities.
- slide 3 of 5
The Exercise Physiologist
An exercise physiologist is one who has passed the Exercise Physiologist (EP) Certification exams and has been certified by the American Society of Exercise Physiologists. A certified EP possesses an educational qualification that is equivalent to a completed bachelor’s degree in exercise physiology. To further advance one's status as a licensed exercise physiologists he or she should strive to pass the board exams in order to become a licensed practitioner.
Exercise physiologists are the professionals who provide treatment services in the form of comprehensive physical exercises to patients who are suffering from heart disease and other chronic disorders or those rehabilitating from traumatic injuries or disabilities. As licensed EPs, they can elevate their level of expertise by taking up master’s degrees and PhD degrees in exercise physiology. Doing so will enhance their qualifications and perhaps qualify them for academic careers in research or teaching.
- slide 4 of 5
Universities Offering Online Courses Toward an EP Profession
If you are currently a fitness trainer and would like to widen your opportunities for better paying jobs, you can check out the following educational institutions as they offer human physiology online course as part of their bachelor's degree programs:
Eastern Oregon University – Bachelor in Physical Activity and Health – Online
Part of the application for admission will require the student to submit a justification for why he or she selected this particular field. The details of career goals as well as the student’s perception on how the course will enable him or her to achieve such goals will likewise be submitted in writing. To earn this degree, the student must earn a C or higher. Enrollees for related studies in wellness and physical activity are expected to possess the qualities of a role model for of physical fitness and health. Tuition and fees for online courses is $423 per credit hour.
California State University East Bay – Certificate in Personal Fitness Training – Online
Admission to this certificate program is available to anyone who's interested in the course and whose work involves health industry and personal fitness. There are no stipulations of program prerequisites. As a web-based program, it teaches students how to implement medically based fitness exercises. Aside from human physiology, the student will learn how to take into consideration the client’s medical history and fitness goals as the online certificate program integrates exercise science as well as practical training techniques. Estimated tuition costs is from $2,475 to $3,070.
- slide 5 of 5
Human physiology online course and subsequently earning a degree in exercise physiology, will widen a fitness trainer's job opportunities in diverse work environments. Potential venues include health clubs, cruise ships, recreation centers, medical clinics and educational institutions. This is in view of the renewed emphasis for communities to increase health awareness and appreciation for exercise as a preventive action against illnesses. Based on Labor Market Statistics Center of the Florida Agency for Workforce Innovation, exercise physiologists earned as much as $43,323 in annual income in 2009.
- Image: U.S. Navy photo by Hospital Corpsman 3rd Class Sean Evans, released by the United States Navy under public domain./ Wikimedia Commons
- Eastern Oregon University – Bachelor in Physical Activity and Health --http://www.eou.edu/peh/advising/index.html#major
- California State University East Bay – Certificate in Personal Fitness Training – Online - http://www.ce.csueastbay.edu/certificate/fitness_trainer/index.shtml
- ASEP "National Survey" of Exercise Physiologists -http://www.asep.org/
- Image: Courtesy of LocalFitness.com.au Personal trainer showing a client how to exercise the right way and educating them along the way/ Wikimedia Commons. CCA SA 3.0 Unported