Top 10 Benefits for the Student's Professional Life
1. Flexibility- learning online gives the student flexibility. The working student, urban student or the rural student saves time and gas on travel. Students do not need to plan for rush hour traffic. Also, harsh travel conditions call for students who go to a traditional class to prepare for extra travel time. Learning online saves valuable time and allows more flexibility in the learner’s life.
2. Diversity- students learn alongside people from all over the country and even world. This diversity helps students in the class to see different point of views, broadening their experience. It teaches students to speak well and to be better prepared for differences in the workforce.
3. Technology- Student confidence grows when he or she has better computer skills. Students master the use of software programs that they will need to use in business such as Word, PDF and Excel. They use the Internet for research and learn to use the school's interface. Proficiency using these programs makes the student marketable. These skills are also vital to learn as there is a growing trend toward online employment.
4. Deadlines- students must meet deadlines for reading, writing, and meeting online at set times. This is crucial for success in online learning. Meeting deadlines is vital to success on the job.
5. Support- students in an online learning environment share the experience and critique one another. Critique is meant to help; hence, students get more peer-guidance than in a traditional course. This again, helps on the job. Employers want to know that an employee is a team player.
6. Professional Growth- professional students will see the value of their education at work and motivated to continue. Transfer of learning from the classroom to work life will improve the student’s understanding of the subject matter and set him or her apart among other professionals.
7. Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking Skills- Working in an online course will cause a student to read and respond critically and articulate well and intelligibly. They learn to follow written directions, think and reply critically. These skills are beneficial to a future employer and employees who possess them are sought out. Employees who speak well with other professionals form strong relations and respect in the work place making them stronger candidates for promotion.
8. Prioritizing- Students in online learning create a balance of other daily life activities. They learn to arrange time as there are deadlines to meet. Coordinating activities and prioritizing tasks are vital skills in the professional environment.
9. Choice- This gives the online learner freedom to decide when and where learning is right for him or her. The student can decide if he or she is a morning person or night owl. Students have the choice to decide if they like to study in a quiet room or where the family is. Again, this builds character as the student learns his or her strengths.
10. Discipline- Students in an online learning environment must take responsibility for their own learning. With flex time in the workplace becoming more popular, bosses want to know that their employees can have choices, but are dependable enough to get the job done.