STATE OF MARYLAND
MARYLAND HIGHER EDUCATION COMMISSION
Find the following state-funded scholarships based on financial need on this page:
- Howard P. Rawlings Program for Guaranteed Access Grant and Educational Assistance Grant
- Part-Time Grant
- Graduate and Professional Scholarship Program.
In case you’re interested, there are also Legislative Grants, Merit-Based and Career-Based Scholarships available. If you're still seeking other state-funded scholarships, check out the Unique Population Grant Programs where aid is based on affiliation or affinity.
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND (UM)
Find the following scholarships based on financial needs among other types of financial assistance:
- Dreamkeepers Emergency Financial Assistance
- Robert E. Evasik Memorial Scholarship
- Edward Friedson Memorial Scholarship
- Maryland Parents Association Scholarship
FROSTBURG STATE UNIVERSITY (FSU)
FSU Grants are committed as need-based grants directly funded by the institution; however, most financial aid provided will require the students to have a GPA of 3.0 or better. In some cases, the scholarships may also require the submission of a one-page essay. Nevertheless, there's quite a large number of financial aid available as listed in the scholarship catalog for 2010-2011.
SALISBURY UNIVERSITY (SU)
SU’s List of University Scholarships- The following are only some of the scholarships that furnish financial aid via the university's search page:
- Clinton Bradway, Jr. Scholarship
- Brunkhorst Nursing Scholarship
- Garland D. and Vivian J. Bull Nursing Scholarship
- Cannon Scholarship Christopher Scholars Program in Education
- Coca-Cola First Generation Scholarship
- Elmore Scholarship
- Gary C. Gimbert Memorial Scholarship Fund
UNIVERSITY OF MARYLAND- UNIVERSITY COLLEGE (UMUC)
UMUC Undergraduate Scholarship Opportunities- This is a combined list of college scholarships based on need and academic merit; however, as you browse through the pages, you will also find available scholarships for low wage earners aiming to improve their employment qualifications under the title: "Better Opportunities Through Online Education Scholarship". Other need-based examples are:
- AEGON USA Scholarship
- Alpha Sigma Lambda, Tau Chapter, Scholarship which has a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.7 at UMUC as its main requirement.
- Patricia Currey Scholarship offered to UMUC students majoring in Psychology specializing in Clinical Science but those with demonstrated financial need will have first preference.
- The Joseph and Mary Ellen Hrutka Scholarship- is offered to students with demonstrated financial need with minimum GPA requirement of 3.0.
ALLEGANY COLLEGE OF MARYLAND
Allegany College of Maryland Foundation, Inc. Scholarship Catalog- Do explore this page thoroughly since the list is quite extensive and varied. Nevertheless, you will find that scholarships are classified according to their deadlines for the 2010-2011 school year.
Below are some examples of scholarships awarded based on financial need:
- Allegany Soil Conservation District Martin Gordon Memorial Scholarship continuation of assistance scholarship is possible if criteria is continuously met. Students should submit an essay on why financial aid is needed and should be enrolled in a forestry curriculum with 2.0 GPA and must have attended Allegany County high school.
- Bharton Rhoda Bharton Memorial Nursing Scholarship- is available to residents of Allegany County, Maryland, Bedford County or Pennsylvania; must need financial assistance with 3.0 GPA and enrolled in nursing curriculum. Applicants should submit an essay about why they need financial assistance.
- Derrick Memorial Nursing Scholarship for residents of LaVale or Cumberland, with at least 3.5 GPA and enrolled in a nursing curriculum. Applicants should submit essay on why financial assistance is needed.
The university however, has put a cap either on the amount of scholarship or the number of scholarships coming from private institution, as a means to give equal opportunity for all incoming students. Nonetheless, there is no limit observed pertaining to federally assisted scholarship grants.